Tropic Marin salt

kgstei

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a heads up. I saw a thread on Boston Reef Society that there may be a metsal contamination issue with their salt originating in Turkey

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't go batch number, there are a number of batches affected and probably many that have not been reported. If it's Made in Turkey, open it and smell it. German TMPR has very little smell and is pleasant. The "bad" Turkish batches have a distinctive smell usually described as Citrus, my wife thinks it smells like beach salt. If you still have some Made in Germany, compare them. It is clearly a different smell.

Tacticool-Reefer

I have spoken!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't go batch number, there are a number of batches affected and probably many that have not been reported. If it's Made in Turkey, open it and smell it. German TMPR has very little smell and is pleasant. The "bad" Turkish batches have a distinctive smell usually described as Citrus, my wife thinks it smells like beach salt. If you still have some Made in Germany, compare them. It is clearly a different smell.
good to know, thx!!!

DarfrogDojo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sucks. I just changer from Red Sea purple buckled to Tropic Marin pro and did my first water change this past week. I have a Germany bucket, and doesn't smell bad....and my corals look fine, except for a purple monti that is retracted and bleaching out all of a sudden. Can it be the new salt? I also dose All-for-Reef.

Tacticool-Reefer

I have spoken!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sucks. I just changer from Red Sea purple buckled to Tropic Marin pro and did my first water change this past week. I have a Germany bucket, and doesn't smell bad....and my corals look fine, except for a purple monti that is retracted and bleaching out all of a sudden. Can it be the new salt? I also dose All-for-Reef.
The old school of thought would say you should change salts slowly. In the past I’ve actually mixed different salts together but don’t recommend that anymore. If I were to change from one salt to another, I would mix the remaining salt in one bucket and the new salt and a different one all together. And use a small percentage of the new saltwater unit the remaining saltwater is depleted.

I not sure if that’s what you did or not but that’s what I would’ve done. As far as Tropics issues, they seem to be confined to the salts produced in the turkey facility and not anything from Germany.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 32 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 25 26.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back