Trouble Feeding Chromis to Angler

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, any ideas here? I have a wartskin angler who, naturally, hangs out at the bottom of the tank. I put a chromis in two days ago, but the guy just won’t leave the top third of the water column. As such, the wartskin can’t get to him. He also doesn’t seem very keen to use his esca, even though it’s been over a week since he ate. Might be kind of a stupid question, but does anyone have any suggestions?

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe try throwing some ghosties in. Or you could kill the chromis so the angler can get the freshly dead corpse. Or you could just leave the chromis and the angler can have a tankmate until the inevitable happens

OP
OP
Adamantium

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe try throwing some ghosties in. Or you could kill the chromis so the angler can get the freshly dead corpse. Or you could just leave the chromis and the angler can have a tankmate until the inevitable happens
Thanks. I do have some ghosties, but they’re freshwater. Not sure how long they’ll last in there, and this guy is slooooow. I’ll give it a shot tomorrow, though, if he doesn’t go for the chromis.

I don’t know if I have the heart to kill the chromis, and besides, he seems almost totally uninterested in anything not living. Appreciate the idea, though. Thanks!

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1st, I would recommend against feeding salt water fish. it will only be a matter of time before you introduce disease. You czn try using a feeding stick(rigid airline), to herd the chromis towards the angler so he can catch him. You can also use the net technique, catch the chromis in a net, flip the net so you can submetge to the bottom in front of the angler, manurver the net open and allow the chromis to go out, you may need the feeding stick to encourage the chromis to go out or if the net is large enougj, the angler will go in and get him.

Please search fir my thread "the myth of feeding freshwater fare", ghosties, mollies, and guppies are the food that is best to feed them, and the ghosties and mollies will live in full salt, while guppies are a lesser brackish fish.

OP
OP
Adamantium

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1st, I would recommend against feeding salt water fish. it will only be a matter of time before you introduce disease. You czn try using a feeding stick(rigid airline), to herd the chromis towards the angler so he can catch him. You can also use the net technique, catch the chromis in a net, flip the net so you can submetge to the bottom in front of the angler, manurver the net open and allow the chromis to go out, you may need the feeding stick to encourage the chromis to go out or if the net is large enougj, the angler will go in and get him.
Hahaha I know you know what you’re talking about (I’ve seen your posts) but it’s hilarious that this is the exact opposite advice most people give. Usually it’s said freshwater feeders will give them fatty liver disease. Your point is a good one, though.

The only issue with this plan is that this guy is NOT an aggressive eater. I’ve had fish literally swim right in front of his face for minutes at a time, only for him to stare blankly at it (after over a week of not eating). He also doesn’t seem to use his esca much at all.

I’m thinking I may just have to go with ghosties, and leave him with a new tank mate (for now). Do you happen to know how long most freshwater ghost shrimp will last in SW? Thanks, man.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with lion king. It's best to steer clear of introducing any parasites through marine life. Instead, use mollies. They can go for life in saltwater, so dying isn't a problem. They're also dirt cheap, so would likely make the best feeders. The cheapest option would be guppies, but they're smaller, are more of top-dwellers, and won't tolerate the salinity change as well.
Also, any surviving mollies would make great algae control and indicators for parasites!!

OP
OP
Adamantium

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with lion king. It's best to steer clear of introducing any parasites through marine life. Instead, use mollies. They can go for life in saltwater, so dying isn't a problem. They're also dirt cheap, so would likely make the best feeders. The cheapest option would be guppies, but they're smaller, are more of top-dwellers, and won't tolerate the salinity change as well.
Also, any surviving mollies would make great algae control and indicators for parasites!!

Yeah, I think that’s the way to go. I’ve already fed him a few mollies, with one lasting like 3 days just plopped straight into SW. I wish feeder fish, like red minnows or feeder goldfish were an option, but it seems like those are mostly advised against. So much cheaper than even mollies.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I think that’s the way to go. I’ve already fed him a few mollies, with one lasting like 3 days just plopped straight into SW. I wish feeder fish, like red minnows or feeder goldfish were an option, but it seems like those are mostly advised against. So much cheaper than even mollies.
I don't even know why minnows and goldfish are sold as feeders. I would advise against them for both freshwater and saltwater fish. They're very bony and contain chemicals harmful to the predator fish, as they stunt growth and shorten lifespan. Never use them as feeders. Guppies and mollies are definitely the way to go.

OP
OP
Adamantium

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't even know why minnows and goldfish are sold as feeders. I would advise against them for both freshwater and saltwater fish. They're very bony and contain chemicals harmful to the predator fish, as they stunt growth and shorten lifespan. Never use them as feeders. Guppies and mollies are definitely the way to go.
That’s what I hear.

I actually have a couple guppies breeding, but as mentioned, I’m worried about them pulling the same move as this chromis but with a much shorter lifespan in the SW.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what I hear.

I actually have a couple guppies breeding, but as mentioned, I’m worried about them pulling the same move as this chromis but with a much shorter lifespan in the SW.
It's worth a shot. Just try one or two guppies, and if it seems unsuccessful, you'll know not to use them again. If it is, there's your cheap food source.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahaha I know you know what you’re talking about (I’ve seen your posts) but it’s hilarious that this is the exact opposite advice most people give. Usually it’s said freshwater feeders will give them fatty liver disease. Your point is a good one, though.

The only issue with this plan is that this guy is NOT an aggressive eater. I’ve had fish literally swim right in front of his face for minutes at a time, only for him to stare blankly at it (after over a week of not eating). He also doesn’t seem to use his esca much at all.

I’m thinking I may just have to go with ghosties, and leave him with a new tank mate (for now). Do you happen to know how long most freshwater ghost shrimp will last in SW? Thanks, man.

Minnows and goldfish contain a high amount of thiaminese which binds vit B1 and "may" contain what people describe as bad fat, I'vd had lions back in the day(30 years ago) live longer on goldfish than people keep them today. Mollies and guppies are different, I've explained this in previous post. You can also see my thread "lion necropsy" where I showed the liver and internals of lions I had a ghosties, molly, and guppy diet for over 8 years, they died in a tank poisoning.

Just dropping ghosties in with no acclimation I've see them a few days later, but some will die quickly. Do the herd method with the ghosties. And yes, warties usually fon't seem to be that aggressive of hunter.

OP
OP
Adamantium

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Minnows and goldfish contain a high amount of thiaminese which binds vit B1 and "may" contain what people describe as bad fat, I'vd had lions back in the day(30 years ago) live longer on goldfish than people keep them today. Mollies and guppies are different, I've explained this in previous post. You can also see my thread "lion necropsy" where I showed the liver and internals of lions I had a ghosties, molly, and guppy diet for over 8 years, they died in a tank poisoning.

Just dropping ghosties in with no acclimation I've see them a few days later, but some will die quickly. Do the herd method with the ghosties. And yes, warties usually fon't seem to be that aggressive of hunter.
Thanks for the reply. What is the herd method? Just add a bunch?

Also, tank poisoning?!? As in, by someone nefarious? Really sorry to hear that, man.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. What is the herd method? Just add a bunch?

Also, tank poisoning?!? As in, by someone nefarious? Really sorry to hear that, man.

The herd method is to use the feeding stick, I use a rigid airline, to push the ghostie to the angler, like herding cattle. I would only drop a couple at a time and observe him eating them.

The tank poisoning I'm talking about is me stupidly using a tank cleaner, you can read about in "Is Vibrant trying to kill my Lions".

OP
OP
Adamantium

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The herd method is to use the feeding stick, I use a rigid airline, to push the ghostie to the angler, like herding cattle. I would only drop a couple at a time and observe him eating them.

The tank poisoning I'm talking about is me stupidly using a tank cleaner, you can read about in "Is Vibrant trying to kill my Lions".
Vibrant?!? Woah, I’ve never had issues with it. It’s never really done much for me, but it never seemed to harm anything. I’ll check it out. Thanks!

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 54 55.7%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 30 30.9%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back