Trouble Keeping my Alk Level Stable

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey reefers! My tank is several months old and I used live rock and live sand. I'm not sure why, but I'm having trouble keeping the alk stable as it seems to move a few tenths of a Dkh every couple days or so. I noticed a distinct drop in alkalinity a few weeks ago ( I do have a few sps corals and sun corals but not many since the tank is relatively new) but over the last few weeks it's been steadily rising and is now around 9.2. I know this isn't a terrible level, I'm just kinda new and have heard from many people that stability is key. Should I be doing anything or will it stabilize on its own as it matures?

brmreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey reefers! My tank is several months old and I used live rock and live sand. I'm not sure why, but I'm having trouble keeping the alk stable as it seems to move a few tenths of a Dkh every couple days or so. I noticed a distinct drop in alkalinity a few weeks ago ( I do have a few sps corals and sun corals but not many since the tank is relatively new) but over the last few weeks it's been steadily rising and is now around 9.2. I know this isn't a terrible level, I'm just kinda new and have heard from many people that stability is key. Should I be doing anything or will it stabilize on its own as it matures?

Maybe for a moment the system was within a overall parameter range conducive for optimal livestock growth and has now since been out of that "said" range. Try slight dosing adjustments and test as needed to properly gauge.

When my tank was newer, when there was a noticeable alk uptake, I coincidently saw an increased growth of coralline algae. Just keep in mind everyone's system is different, so factor that in as well. :)

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe for a moment the system was within a overall parameter range conducive for optimal livestock growth and has now since been out of that "said" range. Try slight dosing adjustments and test as needed to properly gauge.

When my tank was newer, when there was a noticeable alk uptake, I coincidently saw an increased growth of coralline algae. Just keep in mind everyone's system is different, so factor that in as well. :)
OK, I don't have any problem with dosing since alk stability is so important...I am seeing coraline algae growth which is exciting. Do you have any product you would recommend? I'd like to slowly add a few more SPS frags after I'm confident in my parameters' stability.

brmreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, I don't have any problem with dosing since alk stability is so important...I am seeing coraline algae growth which is exciting. Do you have any product you would recommend? I'd like to slowly add a few more SPS frags after I'm confident in my parameters' stability.

A product in regards to alkalinity, or something else?

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A product in regards to alkalinity, or something else?
You mentioned trying dosing adjustments but I'm not currently dosing anything for alk...I think I may have read your post wrong...did you mean adjust dosing assuming I already was or were you recommending dosing to keep it stable at a level somewhere between where its been swinging?

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had something similar when coralline first took off. I would recommend all for reef as long you can test for all parameters

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had something similar when coralline first took off. I would recommend all for reef as long you can test for all parameters
Ok, glad to hear this is a common problem that a lot of people have gone through! Yes, I can test for all parameters.

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, glad to hear this is a common problem that a lot of people have gone through! Yes, I can test for all parameters.
AFR is the way to go at least for now. Just keep an eye on all parameters.
In my case I have to set AFR usage to calcium levels as if I set if for alk calcium rising over the roof. I ended up supplementing AFR with alk and magnesium.
my levels this way are really stable. Similar can happen to all new or under stocked aquariums.
I will never regret to buy a doser on the day I started dosing. Hint hint.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AFR is the way to go at least for now. Just keep an eye on all parameters.
In my case I have to set AFR usage to calcium levels as if I set if for alk calcium rising over the roof. I ended up supplementing AFR with alk and magnesium.
my levels this way are really stable. Similar can happen to all new or under stocked aquariums.
I will never regret to buy a doser on the day I started dosing. Hint hint.
I'm not familiar with AFR...is it like a combination additive?

brmreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mentioned trying dosing adjustments but I'm not currently dosing anything for alk...I think I may have read your post wrong...did you mean adjust dosing assuming I already was or were you recommending dosing to keep it stable at a level somewhere between where its been swinging?

Sorry. I was under the assumption that there was already a dosing regiment being implemented.

As there was already a product recommendation thus far, that would be a start.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

LuisPerez711

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check your Magnesium levels as well. Mg plays a very important role in keeping the balance with alkalinity and calcium.

"Magnesium's primary importance in reef aquaria is its interaction with the calcium and alkalinity balance. Seawater and reef aquarium water are always supersaturated with calcium carbonate. That is, the solution's calcium and carbonate levels exceed the amount that the water can hold at equilibrium. How can that be? Magnesium is a big part of the answer. Whenever calcium carbonate begins to precipitate, magnesium binds to the calcium carbonate crystals' growing surface. The magnesium effectively clogs the crystals' surface so that they no longer look like calcium carbonate, making them unable to attract more calcium and carbonate, so the precipitation stops. Without the magnesium, the abiotic (i.e. non-biological) precipitation of calcium carbonate would likely increase enough to prohibit the maintenance of calcium and alkalinity at natural levels."

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It won't make my alkalinity spike up too high after adding?
I don’t understand the full extent of the chemistry behind it but AFR adds alkalinity slowly. This is why you increase the dosage very slowly. AFR meant to maintain all 3 main elements and also add traces.
in a new tank the consumption of each mg Ca and alk not yet the same ratio as in an established reef tank. This is why you need to keep close eye on how you dose it.
as per spikes use a doser so it will be minimal

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just measured my magnesium and it came out at 1500 with the Red Sea Pro test
Check your Magnesium levels as well. Mg plays a very important role in keeping the balance with alkalinity and calcium.

"Magnesium's primary importance in reef aquaria is its interaction with the calcium and alkalinity balance. Seawater and reef aquarium water are always supersaturated with calcium carbonate. That is, the solution's calcium and carbonate levels exceed the amount that the water can hold at equilibrium. How can that be? Magnesium is a big part of the answer. Whenever calcium carbonate begins to precipitate, magnesium binds to the calcium carbonate crystals' growing surface. The magnesium effectively clogs the crystals' surface so that they no longer look like calcium carbonate, making them unable to attract more calcium and carbonate, so the precipitation stops. Without the magnesium, the abiotic (i.e. non-biological) precipitation of calcium carbonate would likely increase enough to prohibit the maintenance of calcium and alkalinity at natural levels."

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok
I don’t understand the full extent of the chemistry behind it but AFR adds alkalinity slowly. This is why you increase the dosage very slowly. AFR meant to maintain all 3 main elements and also add traces.
in a new tank the consumption of each mg Ca and alk not yet the same ratio as in an established reef tank. This is why you need to keep close eye on how you dose it.
as per spikes use a doser so it will be minimal
That makes sense... I'm not sure if I can find it here in Bangkok though...are there other brands with comparable product you're aware of?

LuisPerez711

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just measured my magnesium and it came out at 1500 with the Red Sea Pro test

If you're doing water changes make sure to check the levels in the water as well. You may be doing weekly water changes with water that has slightly elevated levels. With time, and low consumption, your tank levels will rise.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back