lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just measured my magnesium and it came out at 1500 with the Red Sea Pro test

That is fine, about what mine is.

As for dosing If your tank is pretty new then I would suggest maybe changing the water more often to replenish things rather than dosing.

LuisPerez711

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok

That makes sense... I'm not sure if I can find it here in Bangkok though...are there other brands with comparable product you're aware of?

If you cannot source AFR, or it becomes too expensive to ship, you can always try Randy's two part. It's a simple and inexpensive way to dose Ca, Alk, and Mg with ingredients that are available world wide. Just read it carefully, take it slow, and if you dont understand, ask all the questions you need to ask. I highly doubt you need a lot of chemicals since your tank is new but I would keep this in mind as your tank matures.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is fine, about what mine is.

As for dosing If your tank is pretty new then I would suggest maybe changing the water more often to replenish things rather than dosing.
How often? I do about 15% every 1-2 weeks right now.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you cannot source AFR, or it becomes too expensive to ship, you can always try Randy's two part. It's a simple and inexpensive way to dose Ca, Alk, and Mg with ingredients that are available world wide. Just read it carefully, take it slow, and if you dont understand, ask all the questions you need to ask. I highly doubt you need a lot of chemicals since your tank is new but I would keep this in mind as your tank matures.

Thanks for the alternative! Before I start dosing, I feel like it might be a good idea to change the water weekly and see if it stabilizes itself that way.

brmreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is a good option. Been using Randy's recipe for a long time now, and even transitioned to his newer "Higher pH" recipe for a while now too. Just go about it smart and carefully and one would do fine.

LuisPerez711

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the alternative! Before I start dosing, I feel like it might be a good idea to change the water weekly and see if it stabilizes itself that way.

That's a great mindset. Slow and steady. Just make sure the levels in the new salt water are the same as the levels in your reef tank. Hope this solves your issue. Happy reefing!

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a great mindset. Slow and steady. Just make sure the levels in the new salt water are the same as the levels in your reef tank. Hope this solves your issue. Happy reefing!
Yeah, I've always used the same salt in this tank...one way or another, I"ll get it straightened out!

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What salt are you using?
Red Sea...the blue bucket 16315729040932797559894169179287.jpg

nat1881

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey reefers! My tank is several months old and I used live rock and live sand. I'm not sure why, but I'm having trouble keeping the alk stable as it seems to move a few tenths of a Dkh every couple days or so. I noticed a distinct drop in alkalinity a few weeks ago ( I do have a few sps corals and sun corals but not many since the tank is relatively new) but over the last few weeks it's been steadily rising and is now around 9.2. I know this isn't a terrible level, I'm just kinda new and have heard from many people that stability is key. Should I be doing anything or will it stabilize on its own as it matures?
I do know my alkalinity drop 0.2 every day, otherwise I keep on dosing to stay 7.8-8.5. All my corals looks happy all the time.

Attachments

• 10D221FA-184A-4D98-B0EA-FAAEC30C8852.jpeg
    10D221FA-184A-4D98-B0EA-FAAEC30C8852.jpeg
    219.6 KB · Views: 12
  • CF62C1E2-F031-4553-9783-5E17B26B62A8.jpeg
    CF62C1E2-F031-4553-9783-5E17B26B62A8.jpeg
    274.5 KB · Views: 5

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back