Trouble understanding Copper Power dosing and testing

Frogspon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read that you want around .25ppm copper for therapeutic, but then I've seen some videos say that for Copper Power you want to keep it in 2.0-2.5 range. The bottle has dosing instructions for 2.5 ppm per 20g.

Then my Sera test only goes up to 1.0 mg/l (what's the conversion to ppm?) How do I read up to 2.0-2.5?

Can someone help me connect the dots? Thanks!

OP
OP
F

Frogspon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. So this video has me confused then?

He is dosing Copper Power, and using a Hanna checker. Says the base line was .06 and then he only raises it up to .23?

Is he just slowly bring it up to 2.5?Is he just slowly bring it up to 2.5?

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a great guide for using copper power.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And watching that video thats the author of the thread i linked.
Yes they started with a baseline of .06ppm which is likely an error (hanna high range gives low readings even when there is no copper present) but it was just for starting purposes.
Theyre raising it slowly.
I like doing as they mention and drop fish into 1.0 ppm predosed water and raising it to 2ppm by .25ppm daily.

OP
OP
F

Frogspon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And watching that video thats the author of the thread i linked.
Yes they started with a baseline of .06ppm which is likely an error (hanna high range gives low readings even when there is no copper present) but it was just for starting purposes.
Theyre raising it slowly.
I like doing as they mention and drop fish into 1.0 ppm predosed water and raising it to 2ppm by .25ppm daily.

Cool thanks.

The LFS I'm purchasing from keeps their fish at 5ppm ( ! )... so I planned to dose the QT to start him off at full strength at 2.5

The fish I've been looking at has been there for atleast 2 weeks and has no external signs of ich currently.

Since he's technically been in copper for at least 2 weeks and going to my new sterile QT, would it be risky to only Copper him for 14 days before removing for other meds? I'm more concerned about getting him into GC and Kanaplex.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool thanks.

The LFS I'm purchasing from keeps their fish at 5ppm ( ! )... so I planned to dose the QT to start him off at full strength at 2.5

The fish I've been looking at has been there for atleast 2 weeks and has no external signs of ich currently.

Since he's technically been in copper for at least 2 weeks and going to my new sterile QT, would it be risky to only Copper him for 14 days before removing for other meds? I'm more concerned about getting him into GC and Kanaplex.
5ppm?? Copper exposure at that level can cause gill, liver and muscle damage. Personally, I would not expose those fish to further copper.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool thanks.

The full strength theraputic dose is 2.0ppm
You should not drop them into a tank dosed at 2ppm.
1ppm is ok and ramping up from there.

As stated above 5ppm is not a realistic number and would cause poisoning.

Your lfs likely has them in a sub theraputic dose and could likely be ionic copper as well which has a lower theraputic dose but is harsher on the fish.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back