Trouble with final fish choice...

Tiki Reef Joshua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

I have made a few stocking changes lately and I am going to make 1 more addition. My tank is a 100 gallon (shallow-ish) 4' x 2' by 20" tall. My current stock list is below:

Tangaroa Goby (very small)
Diamond Goby
Yellow Tang (pretty small)
Blue Throat Trigger (my buddy)
1 clown
Leopard Wrasse (Medium)
Yellow Wrasse (getting pretty big)
Tailspot blenny (small)

The mixed reef also has a nice maxima and RBTA....

All fish are model citizens. This is a very healthy reef tank and maturing nicely... so... my thoughts..

- Melanerus Wrasse - I would worry a bit about the my yellow a bit. He has been around a while. He is nice, but this is same species.

- A pair of captive bred Radial Filefish - I would worry about the trigger killing them. He is peaceful, but no like species are in the tank. I would also be afraid that coral nipping would turn into coral eating.

- Captive bred Coral Beauty - I would worry about coral damage and/or aggression.

- Potter's Angel - hard to find, and same worries as above.

- A few Lyretail Anthias - I don't know, people love them but they just seem kind of boring to me. I do love swimmers, but they just seem like filler instead of something interesting. Probably the safest bet on the list.

- Some other type of Wrasse.... I dunno

So what do you think and what are maybe some other options? I like to control nutrients naturally without dosing and I frequently come close to bottoming out based on skimmer size and water change frequency, so bio load is not a huge concern... I want just one more something. 1 tang is more than enough for me in this size tank, so not interested in anything with those requirements. What say you?

Thanks for the recommendations!

OP
OP
Tiki Reef Joshua

Tiki Reef Joshua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about a 2nd clown? Probably smaller than your current one to see if they pair up?
mehhh.. thanks for the suggestion but clowns really aren't my favorite. I have the one guy because he has been with me for a while, but 1 is enough for me I think.... Maybe I'll change my mind one day.

OP
OP
Tiki Reef Joshua

Tiki Reef Joshua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flameback Angelfish. A wonderful fish.
I can get a captive bread coral beauty locally. That is definitely an option. I am a bit skittish on the Angel fish though... From what I have heard Coral Beauty and Potters are the best gamble, but that's all anecdotal, I don't really know which angel is statistically the safest... Interesting suggestion though...

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 187 71.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 19 7.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 49 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.7%
Back