Trouble with new calcium salifert test kit

Llorgon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I recently bought a new salifert calcium test kit as my old one was empty and I've been having a few issues with it.

The new instructions are add 2ml water, add a scoop of powder(don't mix) fill the syringe to the 1.00ml mark and put in to the lower end of the piston is at 0.4ml, swirl and the colour should go from blue to pink.

Only problem is it doesn't go pink. It just stays blue. If I keep adding it goes pink at the 0.2ml mark then blue again at 0.08ml mark.

So right now I am reading that as calcium being 460. Or am I way off since it didn't change colour when it was supposed to?

dank reefer

IG: dankreefer_IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mark and put in to the lower end of the piston is at 0.4ml, swirl and the colour should go from blue to pink.
This step here is you already know where your CAL is at so you don't have to go 1 drop at a time starting from the 1ml mark. I usually go to the .5ml mark, then start 1 drop at a time.

So it sounds like the test is correct. You can double check again and see if its close to your last test.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok. That makes sense. This is a newer tank so I am trying to find out what my calcium is at. I will try adding less at a time tonight.
I had an older salifert calcium test that did the same thing. The color never changed the way it was supposed to. However I have the same as you now and it works perfectly. I would be skeptical of the results if the test isn't performing as directions state.

Bpfor3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same issue. doesn't go pink till I get to the .25 mark, and then turns blue later. The reading I get is a lot closer to what I am expecting than 300, which is what the .4 mark is.

Ilya_Tihomirov

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new test from Salifert is a complete mess, I have overestimated the test solution from TM by 50 units. Salifert does not admit the mistake, he says that when the titrant evaporates, its concentration may increase and its indicators may change. If it does not change color then you need to shake the titrant

Back