Trouble with the Neptune ATK, "Error on ATK"

David M.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this ATK for a few months now, it was recently connected to an Apex controller. Lately it has been constantly erroring out with "Error on ATK". I cannot find a logical reason within the code for it doing so. It will be working fine, and then I assume it hits one of the failsafes in the advanced programing which leaves it in the "Off" state. I've posted my configuration below.

As a note, at no point in the last 12 hours has the ATK_HI sensor been CLOSED, water level has been at or below the ATK_LO sensor. So far I have tried rebooting the controller multiple times, unplugging the power cord, rebooting my router, changing the configuration from "Advanced" to "ATO", manually adding RO so the ATK_LO sensor will be CLOSED again (in hopes of falling back in to the regular cycle), and have had no luck at all.

I hope this is user error, as Im still pretty new to Apex programming. I've been scripting/programming for years but this Apex stuff is weird, maybe I have more to learn! I'd rather it be that than a mechanical problem.

On a side note, is there any way to get more useful error messages or verbose logging from this thing? Error messages so far have been far too broad and really dont seem to be helping me pin down problem areas.

1637686516929.png
1637686597928.png
1637686794235.png
1637686630998.png

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This happens if it takes longer than 5 minutes (the "When" timer value) to top off the water level. Common causes include a dirty optical sensor, failed optical sensor, clogged or kinked water tubing, air trapped in the PMUP, failed PMUP, no power to the FMM power adapter, or failed FMM power adapter.

Follow the troubleshooting steps in my ATK tutorial to try to isolate the problem:

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for your other questions & comments:

- Do not set the ATK's Control Type to "ATO". ATO is meant for people who build their own topoff system using float or optical sensors and 3rd-party pump. The ATK needs to be set to "Advanced" in order to take advantage of the multiple layers of failsafes it's designed for.

- You can enable logging on the ATK's output so you can see every time the pump turns on and off.

- You can enhance the alarm error messages by leveraging virtual outputs. Read my tutorial on Apex Alarms for more details: https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/neptune-apex-programming-tutorials-part-6-alarms.707/

And since you're new to the Apex, be sure to read my whole series of Apex tutorials to get up to speed:

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back