Troubleshooting Kessil AP700

Eastwood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently my Kessil AP 700 stopped working after a power outage. Upon checking the mean well driver with a multi meter, the power supply doesn't seem to be the problem. The driver is delivering the proper 48 volts of power. When the unit is initially powered the red and green leds flicker, however, the fixture's power indicator light is not working. Moreover, I've contacted kessil and obtained some troubleshooting advice but nothing has worked so far. I'm currently grasping for straws in a desperate attempt to save my light and all suggestions are appreciated.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Does your driver have a variable pot for voltage? If so, try to adjust it up a little. My Delta driver had some issues and I adjusted the voltage and it worked.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There were two releases of driver with the light, the early and pre-order release units have one with an adjustable voltage pot. After a year or so, they went to the nonadjustable driver.

OP
OP
Eastwood

Eastwood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My driver is the mean well 185watts 48 volts with adjustable pot. The first thing I checked was the power supply. My multi meter read 48v so I assumed it wasn't the cause. How much can I increase it by without damaging the fixture?

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My driver is the mean well 185watts 48 volts with adjustable pot. The first thing I checked was the power supply. My multi meter read 48v so I assumed it wasn't the cause. How much can I increase it by without damaging the fixture?
Use a sharpie and mark the current position, then increase it slightly.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can't really test switching power supplies based on no load voltage alone.
It still could be bad.

If you had a power outage especially in like a brown out with low line voltage all sorts of bad things can happen to electronics.

I've thought about the changing voltage thing for awhile.
If it was just drivers and leds err maybe ok. Maybe.
My worry is there are a few voltage regulator chips inside the unit. If they can't take the increase in voltage you have a bigger issue than you started with.. maybe.
You need to hope that some "buffering" is built into the circuitry.

Calling @_AV :)

Oh, I'd still start w/ a new or known good ps. If nothing more than a test.

_AV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my repair video on the subject:

Every voltage regulator from the power input all the way to the controllers fried. Likely due to a similar event.
I think you can still see if the power supply really works by trying to apply very minor load by manually setting the light to the lowest intensity setting. We are talking only about 0.25A load. If you can actually control the intensity but the light shuts down as you ramp up the intensity, there is a chance the power supply is bad. Otherwise, if even your power indicator is not lighting up... there is damage to the main board.

I can certainly troubleshoot if you are willing to ship.

Back