Troublesome corals?

N2theUnknown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok everyone this is kind of a spin on another post I seen earlier. But the topic was "what coral do you regret putting in your tank". I was seening the same names come up kenya tree, gsp, xenia etc. All these corals people were posting are all the corals I was looking into getting.

My question is all the above corals were being named off due to the fact they were just taking over. Do all corals spread over sand or if you had islands away from the main rock work would this halt corals from spreading? Or do they release "seeds"? I have done research on most corlas I would just like some user input.

P.s alittle background looking into this for a 40 breeder. Was looking at doing mostly softies but not set on them. Lighting and flow are not a problem. Will buy lights and flow for what is required.

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as you keep the coral on islands they won’t spread on the main rock , the only coral I’ve read that clove polyps release “seeds”.

Last edited:

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DSC_0046.JPG

DSC_0045.JPG

My GSP started as a quarter size and was placed on it's own island months ago. It's now climbing up the glass.

Most of what you've been told is true about these "easy" corals. They grow quickly and take up real estate. Some drop "babies" all over the place. All can be problematic long term when trying to keep other corals, SPS and LPS. Stinging, smothering.......

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone should REGRET buy any living thing without reading at least 2-3 full length articles on the exact care for them.

When you're at the cash register you need to be able to tell everyone in the store how to care for it

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 13 81.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

• Other.

Back