OP
J

Jonathan Troutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ranjib

So got the journal up and it was showing that reef pi was doing what is was supposed to be doing. So I went in and set PWM value at 50. I then got a voltage. Went back in and increased to 100% and went back to zero?

99% sits at 3.284 volts
100% sits at 0.00 volts

So got to thinking about something here. I figured I would provide the 3.3v for the PCA9685 straight from my pi's 3.3v rail. I was trying to get away from installing another buck converter in my case. I already have one in there that the coil whines on when you are messing around in VNC. I am gonna try and power is separately. I am powering the entire pi with a 20v 3.25a supply.

Last edited:

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm so I powered it separately with 3.4 volts and got the same result. At 100% it’s off
Yes that’s correct and as expected . It’s 0-99, 0 and 100 is same 101 and 1 is same. It’s kinda cyclical , after 99.
Anyway , just to reasses , your pca9685 is working with 3.3 v? And you can change the pwm from 0-99 with expected result ? Or that’s not the case ? I have some time now so I’ll stay online

OP
OP
J

Jonathan Troutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that’s correct and as expected . It’s 0-99, 0 and 100 is same 101 and 1 is same. It’s kinda cyclical , after 99.
Anyway , just to reasses , your pca9685 is working with 3.3 v? And you can change the pwm from 0-99 with expected result ? Or that’s not the case ? I have some time now so I’ll stay online

Yes sir it is working. Was working all along I was just expecting to see ~3.3v at 100. I am getting ready to hack into my lights to verify proper control! I am going to set my maxes at 99 so if for whatever reason I ever want it won’t switch my lights off.

Thanks for responding man. Super excited to get this feature working. I’ve been wanting to have ramping on my lights since I got them.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes sir it is working. Was working all along I was just expecting to see ~3.3v at 100. I am getting ready to hack into my lights to verify proper control! I am going to set my maxes at 99 so if for whatever reason I ever want it won’t switch my lights off.

Thanks for responding man. Super excited to get this feature working. I’ve been wanting to have ramping on my lights since I got them.
No worries, it’s always like this. Because of the whole thing relies on right circuit and we don’t realky know it unless we get it done , it’s common to have setback and get frustrated . But also remember we got it working , so if you have patience , don’t give up and methodical in your approach , there’s no way you won’t prevail at the end . So , take time and celebrate , you created a new thing , you learned a lot ,
Cheers :)

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to see a sub forum dedicated to everything reef-pi!! Have you guys asked the forum big wigs if that was possible?
I think I have to be a sponsor for that to happen.

OP
OP
J

Jonathan Troutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Diamond1 @Ranjib

So this connector the yellow is my 3.3volt PWM. It’s inverted though where 3.3v is off and 0v is 100%.

The green wire 8.65 at 100 and 11.7 at 0%

The red wire 1% is -0.068v and 100% is -3.095v

Not sure what to do with the other wires

I can get the lights to come on in the app but it does not change the brightness of them. I have tried changing the pwm frequency as well with no luck

image.jpg

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Diamond1 @Ranjib

So this connector the yellow is my 3.3volt PWM. It’s inverted though where 3.3v is off and 0v is 100%.

The green wire 8.65 at 100 and 11.7 at 0%

The red wire 1% is -0.068v and 100% is -3.095v

Not sure what to do with the other wires

I can get the lights to come on in the app but it does not change the brightness of them. I have tried changing the pwm frequency as well with no luck

image.jpg
GNDs are all connected?

OP
OP
J

Jonathan Troutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ugh well im done for the night. I cant identify the issue with it. I will try again tomorrow. Ive dont everything that @Diamond1 did in his thread. If I cant get it figured out I will probably just end up buying some different drivers for them.

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ugh well im done for the night. I cant identify the issue with it. I will try again tomorrow. Ive dont everything that @Diamond1 did in his thread. If I cant get it figured out I will probably just end up buying some different drivers for them.

Reading back through the thread, I'm still a bit confused - is the PCA9685 when not connected working as expected? Or is it only the LED output from the driver when combined with the PCA9685 signal?

Diamond1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe so.

E3CA3B69-1D41-4FC4-BD6B-7601541B9BC8.jpeg

Not sure if it's the same with your lights or not but looking at the dimmer circuit in your picture. The red wire is ground, the black is the pwm, the green is 12volt and the yellow is on/off.

On the 4 pin plug if you use a jumper wire to bridge the 12v and the on/off the lights and fan should come on that way you can test the configuration of the plug.

If it's the same as mine you have the pwm going to the on/off wire and the ground going to the pwm.

I send the 12v and on/off wires to a relay to control on/off functions of cooling fans and power to the fixture.

JT's dimmer circuit.png

OP
OP
J

Jonathan Troutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if it's the same with your lights or not but looking at the dimmer circuit in your picture. The red wire is ground, the black is the pwm, the green is 12volt and the yellow is on/off.

On the 4 pin plug if you use a jumper wire to bridge the 12v and the on/off the lights and fan should come on that way you can test the configuration of the plug.

If it's the same as mine you have the pwm going to the on/off wire and the ground going to the pwm.

I send the 12v and on/off wires to a relay to control on/off functions of cooling fans and power to the fixture.

JT's dimmer circuit.png

Jesus i looked for a good 5 minutes last night for a label on that showed the pinout of that connector.....I couldnt find it. But I see it now.......wow I feel stupid

Anyway thanks for pointing that out. I will see if everything works tonight when I get home.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 47.6%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.1%
Back