OP
OP
J

Jonathan Troutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I2c address of pca9685 board is configurable as well. Just solder one of the address pin

Yip i changed it to see if by chance the dip switches were bad on the ph boards. And then when removing the solder bridge messed it up somehow..... i ordered 5 of them in case this ever happens again

OP
OP
J

Jonathan Troutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well a little update. The hats the go ontop of the pi.....yeah i loathe them i will never use one again for reef pi. I am going be using a proto board and building everything into that. Tried replacing my pca9685 well new one doesnt work either. Last time this happened it was the raspberry pi. And now for some reason if i turn on my white channel on my left light it makes every other light turn off......

So i was thinking let me check this hat out. So i go to examine it and as soon as i barely put any pressure on it i hear my relays in my power box start clicking on and off crazy fast. Hmm well lets resolder every connections on the hat. Still doing it.... so now my tank has to sit even longer with the lighting messed up. All because i wanted to upgrade to 3.0.0.......

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well a little update. The hats the go ontop of the pi.....yeah i loathe them i will never use one again for reef pi. I am going be using a proto board and building everything into that. Tried replacing my pca9685 well new one doesnt work either. Last time this happened it was the raspberry pi. And now for some reason if i turn on my white channel on my left light it makes every other light turn off......

So i was thinking let me check this hat out. So i go to examine it and as soon as i barely put any pressure on it i hear my relays in my power box start clicking on and off crazy fast. Hmm well lets resolder every connections on the hat. Still doing it.... so now my tank has to sit even longer with the lighting messed up. All because i wanted to upgrade to 3.0.0.......
:-( bummer. I would suggest always have backup and use a separate pi to upgrade. So it’s always boils down to just swapping parts or sad card

OP
OP
J

Jonathan Troutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:-( bummer. I would suggest always have backup and use a separate pi to upgrade. So it’s always boils down to just swapping parts or sad card

Nope here is what im gonna do.

Im gonna build each module on a proto board and using jst-xhp connectors to connect to the pi. Im gonna use the t-cobbler plus breakout ribbon ran to a protoboard where i then breakout the individual pins i need for the jst. That way if i need to access the pi im not having to remove **** with am butt ton of wires all hooked up to it.

I dont understand why the i2c bus on the pi is so delicate.......

When i get done everything will be modular. Wanna add something build it on a protoboard or pcb and just plug in!
So done with these janky hats....

OP
OP
J

Jonathan Troutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i remember someone talking about a different connector for the temp sensors that makes them hot-swappable. I cant remember the exact connector. Anyone else know what im talking about?

OP
OP
J

Jonathan Troutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
XLR connectors i believe. If not they will work for what im doing. Im not really enjoying the TRS connectors. Figured since im changing things mights as well make some upgrades too.

Michael Lane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i remember someone talking about a different connector for the temp sensors that makes them hot-swappable. I cant remember the exact connector. Anyone else know what im talking about?
My favorite connector lately has been mini-xlr.
It looks like you have soldering handled; maybe this is a good opportunity to design a breakout hat that does exactly what you are looking for. I'd be interested in seeing what you'd come up with.

Edit - The standard XLR connectors are pretty huge. Mini-xlr is a much better size.

AquaRaider44

#Reef4Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My favorite connector lately has been mini-xlr.
It looks like you have soldering handled; maybe this is a good opportunity to design a breakout hat that does exactly what you are looking for. I'd be interested in seeing what you'd come up with.

Edit - The standard XLR connectors are pretty huge. Mini-xlr is a much better size.
I actually like the 5 pin version better as I do use more the 3 pins on some of my plugs

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LZ6N8OO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M14ZHFY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
XLR connectors i believe. If not they will work for what im doing. Im not really enjoying the TRS connectors. Figured since im changing things mights as well make some upgrades too.
I did my temp sensors using cat5e ethernet connectors...also hot pluggable. Havent had an issue yet

OP
OP
J

Jonathan Troutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok here we go almost done. I still need to add the ph sensor board that is why the pca9865 is attached. The sensor board with get hooked up to the other end of that board.

But you can see i now have access to the pi’s usb ports. The darlington board is totally modular which is fantastic. I switch to those really cool 3 pin connectors for temp. And got room to add more stuff!
E1695BC2-0182-4B0F-88CD-CA3DDBF08CB7.jpeg

OP
OP
J

Jonathan Troutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ranjib @Bigtrout
Alrighty my ph board is hooked up and functioning. Will be attaching a probe tomorrow!

Here is an updated picture as well. The pca9685 is mounted as well as the ph board. And still have room. Better yet every thing is still done as connectors and as such easily removable/replaceable!
image.jpg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back