True Phosphate level

kiwis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm winning a long battle against GHA.

I think my issue is high phosphate. I've been using Phosphate RX to remove it which has turned the tide.

My question and issue is, when I test phosphates I get a near 0 reading. I believe because the GHA is using the Phosphate up.

How can I test what my Phosphate would be before algae consumes it?

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only Phospahtes you can test for are SRP “soluble reactive phosphates” that dissolve in your tanks water and are used by algae. Which unfortunately only account for about 2%. So when your run a test like on the Hanna ULR, that’s the reading you’re getting. I was literally dosing every day to get my levels up when battling dinos. I was dosing .05 ppm every day initially. 24 hours later back to zero. I dosed long and hard over a period of months of both NO3 and Po4 and finally started getting some green algae Growth. Dinos were finally outcompeted after the GHA got established. Now the GHA is my problem and it keeps growing and growing. I’m thinking from dosing for so long there is enough bound up in the rock that releases and fuels the algae. Algae consume it so fast you can’t test for it. But there is no doubt in my mind that even though I tested earlier today and got a reading of 4 ppb, which is .012ppm +/- 5ppb, there is definitely phosphate in there that can’t be tested for. Another kind of phosphate “Organic phosphate” that come in many forms can’t be tested for I don’t think. I bet if I were to nuke my gha, that bound up phosphate would be released and I’d definitely get a reading when testing. I could be wrong on the info above, but seems I’ve read this somewhere from a reputable source. If you figure out a way to test, lmk!!!

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a problem as we can't test for all the forms of phosphorus in our systems. As pointed out by JCTReefer we can only test for one type of phosphorus genericly reffered to as PO4 or phosphate (aka SRP, Orthophosphate, Dissolved Inorganic Phosphate, DIP) and then only what's left over when everything else in the tank is done with it. Besides corals and algae using it, biofilms will be soaking it up and sponges can be sequestering phosphorus crystals in their tissue. Our systems also have particualte forms of inorganic phosphorus (PIP) and Dissolve Organic Phosphorus (DOP) and these are used also. If it helps here's a figure showing how corals use the various forms and links to research on phosporus on reefs and by corals maintained long term in aquaria as well as a blog by Rich Ross:
DIP DOP POP.jpg

An Experimental Mesocosm for Longterm Studies of Reef Corals

Phosphate Deficiency:
Nutrient enrichment can increase the susceptibility of reef corals to bleaching:

Ultrastructural Biomarkers in Symbiotic Algae Reflect the Availability of Dissolved Inorganic Nutrients and Particulate Food to the Reef Coral Holobiont:

Phosphate deficiency promotes coral bleaching and is reflected by the ultrastructure of symbiotic dinoflagellates

Effects of phosphate on growth and skeletal density in the scleractinian coral Acropora muricata: A controlled experimental approach

High phosphate uptake requirements of the scleractinian coral Stylophora pistillata

Phosphorus metabolism of reef organisms with algal symbionts

Sponge symbionts and the marine P cycle

Phosphorus sequestration in the form of polyphosphate by microbial symbionts in marine sponges

ZoWhat

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20210101_105037.jpg

Yes. Great stuff. As a preventative measure I use 30 droplets in my 200g total water system each Sunday night. I also use 5micron filter socks fir 24hrs to catch the lanthanum phosphate chemical bond in the sock.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can take a while to remove phosphate from the system, especially if it’s been high for a while and is bound up into the rockwork because it will slowly leach back out

You need something to take it out so you may need to continue dosing what your using, although I prefer GFO in particular rowaphos which I use and ‘heavy’.

Eventually you should starve the GHA until it starts to recede, but you then need to keep the phosphate locked down and a good target is less than 0.03

As far as I know, you can only test what’s in the water column

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 52 43.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 42 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back