Truly aggressive additions-need help

tj w

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, im getting ready to set up my pred tank. Im really wanting to get some really aggressive fish in there that are vicious. Any one have any ideas? Can be a group or singles that can co exist. Doesnt matter. Just wanting some ideas. Going to call it diablo's tank.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other than a clown fish, I haven't met a damsel I like....or that likes me! But other than damsels, the Undulated trigger has to up there on the aggressive list. It hates everybody and everything....they will rearrange your tank.

Dtackett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well, you got your obvious choices like anglers, lions, triggers (queen, undulated, titan etc), sohal tang, jewel damsel, black edged moray eel.

but in the end we need to know more. like what size tank do you have to set it up? many of the more aggressive fish need big tanks.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't forget puffers.

OP
OP
tj w

tj w

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like puffers and triggers, i have a niger in my 300 reef that i absolutely love. The tank is going to be around 600 gallons. I plan on having a 1/2-1 1/2" sand bed with minimal live rock with some decorations

OP
OP
tj w

tj w

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A puffer,trigger,and barracuda tank may be interesting. Would like to have a sting ray as well but not sure yet

hatrix11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you mean non-reef safe? Or predator? The cold hard truth is... the most viscous fish are the little ones >.< ...darn bicolor dottyback...

But you can't go wrong with morays!!!

OP
OP
tj w

tj w

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A tank full of damsels and dottybacks my be cool with a moray and a few puffers and triggers may be intersting.

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Predators like scorpion fish? Plumieri, diabolis.

I will look up more along those lines later.

ice fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on what you mean as "vicious" Lions are not vicious pred's, they sit and wait for prey to come to them. If your looking for fish that you cant put your finger in the tank with then go with triggers. Clowns,nigers,queen, undulated all will give you that scare. Any Fish eating moray will be aggressive when eating. Puffers are dopey and will be more dog like then wanting to hunt unless you put clams or krill in the tank. heniochus butterflys in groups can be VERY aggressive fish.

Kyuss414

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm with the trigger crowd. If you want truly aggressive, get a queen or undulated trigger, but that's all you're going to have in the tank most likely even in a 600g. At that size a titan trigger may be a possibility, and I hear those trump all others and get the largest. Just look them up on youtube and you'll videos of them chasing off several divers at once.

I kept an undy years ago in a tank by himself and quickly learned I had to prep the tank like it was housing a maximum security lvl5 inmate. I'm a firm believer that the species doesn't mate as they'd just kill each other on site, and undulated triggers actually come from lava when it hits the ocean.

Here's an old crappy pic of the hellspawn I had..
050607_13461_zps84c66400.jpg

OP
OP
tj w

tj w

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, sounds like a monster there. I would definitely prefer to have multiple aggressive fish in the large tank. Really love triggers and their personalities

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 33 28.9%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 28 24.6%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.8%
Back