Trumpet Coral Deflated.

wesman42

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mostly lps in my 75 gallon. Today, the trumpet Coral I have had for a few months was Deflated all day.

Params:

Salinity: 1.025
pH: 8.4
ammonia: <0.25ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 5ppm
Calcium: 410
Magnesium: 1200
Alk: 8dKh
Phosphate: 0.15

I am currently battling Dinos so my nitrate and phosphate are a tad bit elevated for this purpose. It seemed to happen after I raised my nitrates. My acans are doing fine, lobo is fine, gorgonian....fine.

Any insight into this would be greatly appreciated.

timrocks311

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My trumpets are finicky too. Same thing, they'll be fine for a while then deflate. I think they are harder than people usually say. Mine seem to like almost no flow.

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your battling Dino’s .. then there’s probably an unbalance in your tank , add some bacteria and check your mag !!!
I would raise it up too 1350 ish

OP
OP
wesman42

wesman42

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My trumpets are finicky too. Same thing, they'll be fine for a while then deflate. I think they are harder than people usually say. Mine seem to like almost no flow.

Interesting. Thanks for the insight....it's possible that's exactly what this is. They haven't inflated back yet...but they don't really look distressed either.

If your battling Dino’s .. then there’s probably an unbalance in your tank , add some bacteria and check your mag !!!
I would raise it up too 1350 ish

Roger. Just started running UV as well. Would you recommend something different than nitrifying bacteria in this case? I'll start dosing mag once I get a good handle on how much of it is being consumed.

OP
OP
wesman42

wesman42

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It recently split from 2 heads to 3. Then, the second head started splitting into 4, are four mouths. This is what it currently looks like.
20180916_171424.jpeg

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It recently split from 2 heads to 3. Then, the second head started splitting into 4, are four mouths. This is what it currently looks like.
20180916_171424.jpeg
Are you feeding it ... look at night when lights are out , you will see all little brown tentacles .. then it’s hungry .. feed mysis or Artemia :D

OP
OP
wesman42

wesman42

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you feeding it ... look at night when lights are out , you will see all little brown tentacles .. then it’s hungry .. feed mysis or Artemia :D

I have been feeding it thawed mysis! For the past 4 days or so since it's been deflated I haven't fed it because I didn't think it would have any retraction if I fed it something. The tentacles are still out...but are a bit shorter than if it was full size.

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok if you’ve been feeding it for the last four days I’d say the deflation is him expelling waste .. I wouldn’t worry too much they are a hardy coral IME .. just raise your mag a bit and ease of the feeding .. once or twice a week is enough !!

Last edited:
OP
OP
wesman42

wesman42

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok if you’ve been feeding it for the last for days I’d say the deflation is him expelling waste .. I wouldn’t worry too much they are a hardy coral IME .. just raise your mag a bit and ease of the feeding .. once or twice a week is enough !!
I did just that! Thank you. He's back to normal now [emoji38][emoji28]

extremetang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine does that every few days to expel waste. I have mine at the bottom tucked away from lots of light and flow. And it seems to like it there.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back