Which company do you get your pods/phyto from?

• Algae Barn

Votes: 17 34.0%
  • Reef Nutrition

Votes: 12 24.0%
  • LFS

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • Aquarium Depot

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • GetPods

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pod Your Reef

Votes: 7 14.0%
  • Algagen

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Tommy's

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Other

Votes: 5 10.0%

• Total voters

fryman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've not had success with the smaller suppliers for small copepods. They are usually heavily contaminated with ciliates or rotifers and sometimes don't even have significant number of the species advertised. In particular the smaller copepods like tisbe or parvocalanus.

i worry that customers just see little specs in the water and assume it's all good. Tigriopus don't seem to have this problem for some reason. But adult tig pods are big and orange so you can tell what they are pretty well with the unaided eye.

ime Reef Nutrition is actually selling viable copepods in their products, suitable as a starter culture.

Jay'sReefBugs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've not had success with the smaller suppliers for small copepods. They are usually heavily contaminated with ciliates or rotifers and sometimes don't even have significant number of the species advertised. In particular the smaller copepods like tisbe or parvocalanus.

i worry that customers just see little specs in the water and assume it's all good. Tigriopus don't seem to have this problem for some reason. But adult tig pods are big and orange so you can tell what they are pretty well with the unaided eye.

ime Reef Nutrition is actually selling viable copepods in their products, suitable as a starter culture.
Tig Pods are not naturally orange. They get orange pigments from carotenoids based on what they have available to eat .

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

We appreciate the recognition and take great pride in being reliable and consistent. It's not easy to provide live feed organisms in quantities that people can rely on year after year.

Have a great week!

Best,
Chad

fryman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tig Pods are not naturally orange. They get orange pigments from carotenoids based on what they have available to eat .
Interesting, I did not know that. They are definately orange in the bottles from reef nutrition, and they stayed orange for me in culture after many months. I use live phyto as feed, mix of tetraselmis, nannochloropsus (sp?), & isochrysis.

I only mentioned because it is distinctive among the diff pod cultures in my experience. The other species do not look so orange to me. I can tell which culture has tig pods easily by eye, the other ones pretty much look the same to my eye.

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, I did not know that. They are definately orange in the bottles from reef nutrition, and they stayed orange for me in culture after many months. I use live phyto as feed, mix of tetraselmis, nannochloropsus (sp?), & isochrysis.

I only mentioned because it is distinctive among the diff pod cultures in my experience. The other species do not look so orange to me. I can tell which culture has tig pods easily by eye, the other ones pretty much look the same to my eye.
They get pigmentation compounds (carotenoids) from the phytoplankton they eat and bioconvert them into astaxanthin which is red when accumulated. Tigriopus californicus are well-known for storing high quantities of carotenoids.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back