Which company do you get your pods/phyto from?

• Algae Barn

Votes: 17 34.0%
  • Reef Nutrition

Votes: 12 24.0%
  • LFS

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • Aquarium Depot

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • GetPods

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pod Your Reef

Votes: 7 14.0%
  • Algagen

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Tommy's

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Other

Votes: 5 10.0%

• Total voters

ajtomase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,

I'm curious to where everyone is getting their copepods/phyto from. There's so many dealers out there, and I've heard horror stories of people getting pods shipped to the DOA.

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@hollback -This guys sells the best pods I've ever received.

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I got some from Tommy’s Phyto. Look in the dealer forum for a link to his shop.

I am fairly new to this so don’t know what is good and what is bad, but there were lots of pods in the bag and shipping was cheap.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got phyto from Tommy as well... Should add them to your options.... he's pretty popular here....

OneSockERock

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used Algaebarn with success, however they use USPS for shipping and both times my packages have taken 4-5 days from Colorado to the Chicago suburbs, which is excessive. Regardless, the pod and phyto shipment arrived alive despite the delay and I was able to start my copepod cultures using their apocalypse pods (Apocyclops panamensis). Never had to use it, but I hear they're really good about DOAs if you're worried.

If you're trying to culture phyto look into mercer of montana on amazon instead, you can get a culture concentrate and the f2 fertilizer for less than $30. That's what I'm currently using for my phyto culture. Pretty sure Algaebarn only has mixed species phyto, which is great for feeding your tank, but you'll want single species for a culture. Same concept applies to copepod cultures - single species.

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've used Algaebarn with success, however they use USPS for shipping and both times my packages have taken 4-5 days from Colorado to the Chicago suburbs, which is excessive. Regardless, the pod and phyto shipment arrived alive despite the delay and I was able to start my copepod cultures using their apocalypse pods (Apocyclops panamensis). Never had to use it, but I hear they're really good about DOAs if you're worried.

If you're trying to culture phyto look into mercer of montana on amazon instead, you can get a culture concentrate and the f2 fertilizer for less than $30. That's what I'm currently using for my phyto culture. Pretty sure Algaebarn only has mixed species phyto, which is great for feeding your tank, but you'll want single species for a culture. Same concept applies to copepod cultures - single species.
Thanks for the kind words! Sorry to hear about your orders being delayed by a day or two but glad to know everything made it just fine :) We do only sell our OceanMagik which is a 4 species blend. You can culture it but eventually 1 species will out compete the other.

Reefing_addiction

It’s my TANK and I want it NOW!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae barn is good. Free shipping over 40 and no hassle if they do arrive dead. Which happens but usually due to a delay from the carrier. Use code gyrfr15 for 15% off your next order

@hollback is also a great seller on here. And he will also take care of you if there is a DOA

reef nutrition I like them as well but due to cost of shipping will only order pods if I need phyto as well (I prefer the phyto they have) I can by reef nutrition pods from LFS and cut out my shipping charge

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always used podyourreef. Great service, I've always gotten my order within a day or two. Always bottles of tons of live pods.

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We really appreciate the votes and the kind words! :D

For those of you that don't know, SaltwaterAquarium.com now carries us. Their shipping is much cheaper! They partnered up with Aqua Visions, an LFS in Illinois, recently. As always, we recommend you support your LFS, but if you don't have a retailer that carries our pods and other foods, check us out here: https://www.saltwateraquarium.com/food/live-foods/reef-nutrition/

If anyone has any questions, don't hesitate to reach out.

Best,
Chad

Jay'sReefBugs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sell 6 species of Copepods and 3 types of phyto . More then welcome to check my page out in the live stock selling forum or my ebay listings

Last edited:

jurgenph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i picked algagen, because i was at petco yesterday picking up some supplies, noticed they had alagen pods, and i grabbed a bag :)

sure beats shipping, and having to worry about them sitting in a hot delivery truck.

J.

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i picked algagen, because i was at petco yesterday picking up some supplies, noticed they had alagen pods, and i grabbed a bag :)

sure beats shipping, and having to worry about them sitting in a hot delivery truck.

J.
Lol pretty sure they were in a delivery truck at some point.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back