Trying Out New Maxspect Ethereal Lighting Schedule, Thoughts?

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

I'm trying out a new lighting schedule on my Maxspect Ethereal, I'm wanting to up the intensity for my Acropora and other SPS and also hopefully enhance the color of all my corals.

Here is what I've come up with so far:

20180217_090841.gif

I was going to go ahead and upload this schedule to the Ethereal, but it's currently not talking to my phone so I will need to fiddle with the connection again (I say again because I have to fight with it for 30 minutes before I can get everything to talk to each other). I would like to know what everyone else thinks of this schedule and any changes that may need to be made.

I had an Instagram follower suggest the following schedule, is there anything substantial to this style of scheduling? As problematic as the Ethereal is with making the app and scheduling work, I don't want to spend all day trying to get something like this schedule going :rolleyes:

Screenshot_20180215-202120.jpg

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always been a fan of the "bell curve" schedule, never the fluctuating schedule. I'd say go with the schedule you came up with :)

OP
OP
nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always been a fan of the "bell curve" schedule, never the fluctuating schedule. I'd say go with the schedule you came up with :)
Thanks for the input. I agree, the sun doesn't change intensity like that unless there are clouds or something, even then it's not cloudy everyday on coral reefs.

I'm still trying to get the Ethereal to connect to my phone, if it didn't cost a fortune, I would opt for a different lighting system that wasn't so problematic :mad:

jwt1603

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use three on my RS 525 and have had good luck with them. Maybe I got lucky but I've never had a problem with connectivity. Although I use an iPad not my phone.

I really like the lights but just this week I decided to go all EcoTech and use their ReefLink as a poor mans controller. Stupid on my part since the Ethereals are only two months old. :( Oh well. Live and learn.

OP
OP
nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I ask what size your tank is, I have these lights and still trying to figure a good %
I have it on a Innovative Marine Nuvo 20 :)
IMG_20180217_104907_820.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any update on how you liked the schedule?
It worked pretty well but it didn't have enough blue to make my corals pop, I also added more SPS corals.

This is what it looks like now:

20180911_055022.gif

Gene Ashton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you control these things? Is there a user manual or anything to help me. I love it but struggling to program.....

OP
OP
nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you control these things? Is there a user manual or anything to help me. I love it but struggling to program.....
There's not a whole lot of support for them, or well put together instructions. Try to see if you can find a YouTube video on it, CoralVue support might also be an option

Gene Ashton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's not a whole lot of support for them, or well put together instructions. Try to see if you can find a YouTube video on it, CoralVue support might also be an option
Do you mind if i try to copy your schedule? Although I don't need anything at 100% right now as I only have some Zoas.

OP
OP
nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you mind if i try to copy your schedule? Although I don't need anything at 100% right now as I only have some Zoas.
By all means, go ahead :)

Gene Ashton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any excessive algae growing? I see a lot of white your running and I'm afraid of that much white...I'm trying to copy that now with later start times as I want to see the tanks lights on when I am home in the evenings.

OP
OP
nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any excessive algae growing? I see a lot of white your running and I'm afraid of that much white...I'm trying to copy that now with later start times as I want to see the tanks lights on when I am home in the evenings.
I only have a bit of film and brown coraline algae in my tank at this time, my nutrients stay low enough that I don't have any algae issues.

Dlionsfan09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use three on my RS 525 and have had good luck with them. Maybe I got lucky but I've never had a problem with connectivity. Although I use an iPad not my phone.

I really like the lights but just this week I decided to go all EcoTech and use their ReefLink as a poor mans controller. Stupid on my part since the Ethereals are only two months old. :( Oh well. Live and learn.

Are you looking to sell them? I would be interested

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 51 56.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 27 29.7%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.7%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back