Whirly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone
I'm generally a lurker on here.
I recently found a house and bought it a few months ago (finally! After 2 years of searching)
I have my small lagoon (roughly 100gal) in the living room, and I have spot selected in the dining room for the 300DD sitting in my garage.
The house is on a crawlspace, plenty of reinforcing is being done to the substructure of the floor, and a pad is being poured under where the tank will sit so that I can properly help offset the weight.
Here is my concern, I've heard many stories about the Marineland 300DD tanks failing.
Some are fine and never leak, some blow out panels.
This tank belonged to a engineering friend who ran a small stick farm.
He never had a single issue with the tank or it leaking at all.
However this tank was in his garage, and not his dining room lol so im trying to be a bit more precautious before it is sitting inside my house with water inside.
Are the any extra steps I can do aside from cutting out the old silicone and laying nice fat beads and letting it cure properly, before rolling it into the house to help ensure a long and happy tank?
If its at an extremely high risk to fail, then I may consider saving it for the shop/farm we are setting up. And finding better solutions to use it for in there or just not using it at all.
Overall the tank is in pretty great shape. No visible damage to the seals. It has been sitting dry for roughly 16 months on a rolling pallet with thick wool moving blankets to cushion it.

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Knowing what I know now, I would save and get a custom tank built by a reputable builder. If you are serious about reefing in the long haul, that would be my advice for peace of mind.

The tank itself is a negligible cost in the grand scheme of how much you will be spending throughout the hobby. And it’s holding all the water your livestock depend on!

OP
OP
Whirly

Whirly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've already got about 60 to 100k in equipment for this shop.
And if the tank wasn't in great shape I wouldn't even consider it, but I do see what you are saying and I understand.

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've already got about 60 to 100k in equipment for this shop.
And if the tank wasn't in great shape I wouldn't even consider it, but I do see what you are saying and I understand.
Oh, I see. Yeah, it’s hard to really know what to expect with a used tank.

My mentality is, if I’m going through all the trouble of establishing something for the long term, I want to go into it with a solid, new foundation. That’s my thinking.

I would imagine that you would be fine though if it isn’t that old and you know it didn’t leak.

I have read that it isn’t good to let silicone sit dry after it has been wet for a long time. Not sure if that is a concern.

OP
OP
Whirly

Whirly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, I see. Yeah, it’s hard to really know what to expect with a used tank.

My mentality is, if I’m going through all the trouble of establishing something for the long term, I want to go into it with a solid, new foundation. That’s my thinking.

I would imagine that you would be fine though if it isn’t that old and you know it didn’t leak.

I have read that it isn’t good to let silicone sit dry after it has been wet for a long time. Not sure if that is a concern.
I have re sealed tanks previously. So I planned to probably do that.
The space I have is essentially perfect for the 300DD footprint, so I may go back over it again, as well as fill it with water outside in the garage after new sealing is in and carefully observe the tank for a week or two

Back