Trying to beat cyano naturally

FlameangelLover

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 25, 2025
Messages
842
Reaction score
838
Location
detroit
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to beat cyano naturally and I am pulling my hair out it keeps coming back. I do weekly water changes and my po4 was at 1.0 but this week I got it at .0.01. So hopefully that helps.

If it isn’t gone by June I think I’ll use chemiclean :( but I really wanted a 100% natural tank
 
How old is your tank?
 
I am trying to beat cyano naturally and I am pulling my hair out it keeps coming back. I do weekly water changes and my po4 was at 1.0 but this week I got it at .0.01. So hopefully that helps.

If it isn’t gone by June I think I’ll use chemiclean :( but I really wanted a 100% natural tank
Resist using chemiclean. read some posts first
 
Do you run UV? I on/off struggle with cyano (low flow gang represent) and every time UV bulbs are getting close to needing replaced, it gets worse, then noticeably recedes post replacement.

I don’t reach for Chemiclean until it’s bad enough to affect corals.
 
Do you run UV? I on/off struggle with cyano (low flow gang represent) and every time UV bulbs are getting close to needing replaced, it gets worse, then noticeably recedes post replacement.

I don’t reach for Chemiclean until it’s bad enough to affect corals.
It’s not that bad tbh and nope not yet but I plan on getting one to go in my tank. The only problem is I have to choose between a uv filter and a refugium because I run a cannister and can only attach one of the two to my cannister. In your opinion what would help me more in the long run?
 
I am trying to beat cyano naturally and I am pulling my hair out it keeps coming back. I do weekly water changes and my po4 was at 1.0 but this week I got it at .0.01. So hopefully that helps.

If it isn’t gone by June I think I’ll use chemiclean :( but I really wanted a 100% natural tank
Increase flow to prevent nutrients from settling
Use an RODI if not already
keep up with water changes
manual removal with toothbrush/net or remove rock and scrub
 
Weekly water changes, blow it of the rocks and sand, change filter socks after tank clears ( I use roller filter). Copepods, may or may not help. Keep nutrients in check. Microbactor 7 dosing as directed. this is working for me
 
I wouldn’t hesitate to use chemiclean. Never caused an issue for me
 
I beat cyano naturally. I added live bacteria every day, didn't even measure i kinda just pored maybe a cap or two inside. The bacteria i used was homemade by a local dude. Im not sure if its any better than other bacteria but it definitely smelled like good bacteria haha.

Before dosing, i used RO tube to suck out as much cyano as possible. Then I dosed the bacteria.

also important you have enough liverock and filter media that you dont often clean for the new bacteria to colonise. Then after about a month or so its completely gone.
 
I personally would not try to beat cyano with low nutrients since I think you take a dino risk that is worse than cyano.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 3 4.8%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 18 28.6%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 30.2%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 4 6.3%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 4.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new