Trying to find different nori

Travv26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this isn’t the cheapest I have seen on Amazon but can’t really find non roasted, and with out to much searching this one popped up. I’m still using julian sprungs have a few sheets left but sometimes it’s out and this is a bigger bag. So just wondering if this will be good for my tangs and reef tank.
6158EE22-3605-4B88-B0E2-9AC2CD0AB02C.jpeg

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's wrong with roasted??

As long as the only ingredient is seaweed and the sodium content is 0 then your good to go

Bossman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm happy with the BRS nori. 100 grams for $15.95. That's $4.55 per oz.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree i use roasted. The only one i wouldnt use is if the ingredients say anything more than just seaweed.

Terry Le

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used the one from Amazon. Last pack I bought 100 sheets 8" X 8" from Walmart online. That should last me 2/3 of the year

OP
OP
Travv26

Travv26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's wrong with roasted??

As long as the only ingredient is seaweed and the sodium content is 0 then your good to go
I don’t know how true this is but seen somewhere that said non roasted is higher in nutrients. Not as this is my main source of nutrients just thought I’d try or see what others might use with good results

OP
OP
Travv26

Travv26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm happy with the BRS nori. 100 grams for $15.95. That's $4.55 per oz.
Man I totally forgot BRS has there own nori and I just placed an order lol

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As soon as it hits the water it has sodium in it
Post a link to a peer reviewed study on that bit of mind blowing knowledge or it isn't true.... :oops:

I don't buy seaweed with added ingredients, including salt

josvanmeer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
roasted nori is fine to use but basically a crappy version of non roasted since nutrients are lost in that process. I would pass on roasted, since its rather useless to feed it.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
roasted nori is fine to use but basically a crappy version of non roasted since nutrients are lost in that process. I would pass on roasted, since its rather useless to feed it.
Interesting statement, I've heard this claimed before but never proven. Useless is a strong word. And an incorrect one imo. Care to enlighten us on the facts? I know roasting does away with a small amount of nutrients in some veggies but it also brings out certain nutrients in others. Do you have specific research you'd care to share about seaweed?

josvanmeer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting statement, I've heard this claimed before but never proven. Useless is a strong word. And an incorrect one imo. Care to enlighten us on the facts? I know roasting does away with a small amount of nutrients in some veggies but it also brings out certain nutrients in others. Do you have specific research you'd care to share about seaweed?
Useless is a strong word, I like to exaggerate every chance I get. The facts are that dried nori retains more nutrition than roasted, but dried falls apart faster. Roasting is usually done to release flavors, often done with vegetables to make them more palatable. Also roasted nori releases more phosphates since its more oily. I cant tell you anything more specific than that, I don't microwave these things and put them through a microscope. I have been a Sous Chef however, and the science behind drying and roasting just does not lie. That's all I can tell you. Feed roasted nori as you please, it's not "useless", but is not the same as dried.

locito277

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this isn’t the cheapest I have seen on Amazon but can’t really find non roasted, and with out to much searching this one popped up. I’m still using julian sprungs have a few sheets left but sometimes it’s out and this is a bigger bag. So just wondering if this will be good for my tangs and reef tank.
6158EE22-3605-4B88-B0E2-9AC2CD0AB02C.jpeg
Been using this o e for years. More flaky than Sprungs but has done the job

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My dog steals my bag of julians nori any chance he gets and eats it as fast as he can. *shrug*
ROTFLOL - I have to keep all fish food (and bread, cookies or well anything edible or smelling edible) away from my dog. She will chew the top off a jar and slurp fish flakes if I let her.

Bossman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the one I have been using for a while.
100 Sheets (6.7oz) Dried Kelp Seaweed Nori Raw Unseasoned Diet Food Snack Sushi

That is really a good price! If you've been using it for a while I imagine you're happy with it. The only complaint I've had about some nori is that it disintegrates too soon once put in the water. I'm going to give this stuff a try.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 53 85.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back