Trying to install reef-pi

patrinif

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone My name is Francesco, i'm building a reef pi for my brother's salt water tank. (already had made him one a few years back, but the sd card just crapped out on it). the setup is Rpi zero W, raspbian lite (but i might reflash with the full recommended programs.) it has a temp probe and ph sensor. just installed reef pi 4.2

here are the issues that im running into, i get an error with the ph (temp works perfect) when i enable it i get:

" {"error":"stats for id: '1' not found"} | HTTP 404 " and in the reported errors i get

" ph subsystem: Failed read probe:pHError:write /dev/i2c-1: remote I/O error "

the calibration of the ph (when its disabled) i don't get the pop up to do the beginning, mid and end point calibration

here is the process i followed:

i followed the adafruit tutorial for the main installation and ph installation with the exception that i have a electrically isolated ezo carrier board from Atlas scientific with the ph ezo, i didnt add the pullup resistor (i believe the board already has it) i've followed the troubleshooting guid on reef-pi on github, i can post the results of " sudo journalctl -fu reef-pi.service". i've also followed the very first post by Ranjib in this thread, and also the atlas raspberry pi sample code (which with that one i do get reading from the ph in ssh)
sorry for the long post i've tried looking through many posts and i'm a brick wall now. maybe installing an earlier version of reef-pi?
thank you all for your help

Paulo Hanashiro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you see any device listed when running the command "sudo i2cdetect -y 1"?

It looks like either i2c isn't enable or not working properly.

This is a sample output where you can see an I2C device with address 0x48:

Code:
$ sudo i2cdetect -y 1
     0  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  a  b  c  d  e  f
00:          -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
10: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
20: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
30: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
40: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 48 -- -- -- -- -- -- --
50: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
60: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
70: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

OP
OP
patrinif

patrinif

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi paulo thank you for the quick reply, yes i2cdetect -y 1 gives me the decimal address of 63, i added it to the driver ph-ezo.

pi@reef-pi:~ $ i2cdetect -y 1
0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 a b c d e f
00: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
40: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
60: -- -- -- 63 -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
pi@reef-pi:~ $

OP
OP
patrinif

patrinif

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here are the results from the trouble shooting guide from reef-pi:
sudo systemctl status reef-pi.service and
sudo journalctl -fu reef-pi.service

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-08-13 094536.png
    Screenshot 2021-08-13 094536.png
    52.1 KB · Views: 42
  • 2nd screenshot.png
    2nd screenshot.png
    433 KB · Views: 44
OP
OP
patrinif

patrinif

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i installed the pi sample code from atlas scientific to make sure the ph circuit works and this is the results i got from the ph probe
1628863998138.png

Paulo Hanashiro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have you tried to remove the ph devices and re-install it?
Maybe use the reef-pi db commands to check if you have a device with id 1 would confirm.

It looks like something got lost in the configuration files.

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi paulo thank you for the quick reply, yes i2cdetect -y 1 gives me the decimal address of 63, i added it to the driver ph-ezo.

pi@reef-pi:~ $ i2cdetect -y 1
0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 a b c d e f
00: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
40: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
60: -- -- -- 63 -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
pi@reef-pi:~ $
Maybe it's this, you need to convert the 63 hex address to a decimal number which is 99. Use that in reef-pi and it should be good. After you change the address go to "Admin" tab and press the reload button so it updates.

OP
OP
patrinif

patrinif

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning guys, well the address of 99 did it. I thought that 63 was the decimal not the hexadecimal address. after i changed it worked perfectly and then i tried to go learn how to manually translate it (i think i understood how but then again probably went over my head, thank goodness for you guys and the decoder :D )

-- A second issue I got is the calibration window for the PH doesn't show up when I click on it, im going to re-install from scratch simply because i have been messing around in there so much i might have messed something up

-- Again for future people reading this thread to recap the number you get from the i2cdetect -y 1 is the hexadecimal it needs to beconverted to decimal for reef pi. Thank you Robsworld and Paulo for all your help so far.

OP
OP
patrinif

patrinif

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey guys tried re-installing from scratch everything and i do get the ph probe working, but the calibration window from the gui doesn't show up. i installed the raspbian lite, should i install other dependencies or install the full version or raspbian? or is it something i'm missing, I tried in chrome, microsoft edge, safari (through iphone) and tried internet explorer but that one didn't even show up any type of gui. i do have the ph sensor disabled when i try to calibrate (i tried with it on as well but still no luck)

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone My name is Francesco, i'm building a reef pi for my brother's salt water tank. (already had made him one a few years back, but the sd card just crapped out on it). the setup is Rpi zero W, raspbian lite (but i might reflash with the full recommended programs.) it has a temp probe and ph sensor. just installed reef pi 4.2

here are the issues that im running into, i get an error with the ph (temp works perfect) when i enable it i get:

" {"error":"stats for id: '1' not found"} | HTTP 404 " and in the reported errors i get

" ph subsystem: Failed read probe:pHError:write /dev/i2c-1: remote I/O error "

the calibration of the ph (when its disabled) i don't get the pop up to do the beginning, mid and end point calibration

here is the process i followed:

i followed the adafruit tutorial for the main installation and ph installation with the exception that i have a electrically isolated ezo carrier board from Atlas scientific with the ph ezo, i didnt add the pullup resistor (i believe the board already has it) i've followed the troubleshooting guid on reef-pi on github, i can post the results of " sudo journalctl -fu reef-pi.service". i've also followed the very first post by Ranjib in this thread, and also the atlas raspberry pi sample code (which with that one i do get reading from the ph in ssh)
sorry for the long post i've tried looking through many posts and i'm a brick wall now. maybe installing an earlier version of reef-pi?
thank you all for your help
stats id /404 is a benign error, it occurs due to the dashboard looking for usage data which is absent in the beginning. it should go away in few minutes.
check if the ph sensor is present using i2c-detect. Remeber you have to specify the decimal equivalent of the hexadecimal address in i2cdetec, for the ph driver.

the calibration pop up not working is a bug that got in-advertently introduced in 4.2, I've already fixed it, I'll cut a release on Monday. so either wait till Monday and then upgrade and do the calibration or revert back to 4.1.
hope this helps.

Back