Trying to make a DIY no drill overflow, looking for advice

henryc88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, first of all, let me say that I actually have a freshwater tank (300g), but seeing that there are so many knowledgeable le people here I figured that I could humbly ask for advice.

My tank cannot be drilled, so I'm trying g to make a DIY overflow, my goal is to have a sump with a pump of 1500gph. Do you think a 2" pipe will keep up with said gph rating? This is the design I came up with after watching some YouTube vids, but they all rely on a smaller hose drilled onto the top of the pipes to siphon the water. I don't think I can find such a big hose, nor if it's practical. Do you have any suggestions on how I can complete this project? I was about to give up and just buy an fx6 but decided to keep trying.

20230904_173017.jpg

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Making a DIY HOB overflow can be a challenge. I have used a wide array of overflows and other filters. The DIY overflows that I have made were very finicky, hard to get right, and I spilled plenty of water on the floor while trying to figure it out. One thing that I did figure out along the way that may help you if you continue your quest - a small micro pump placed in the tank and connected to a fitting on on the top of the overflow plumbing will continuously suck the air out (and then the water once the air is gone). This helps keep the siphon which IME was one of the bigger challenges. Good luck with whatever direction you go!

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, first of all, let me say that I actually have a freshwater tank (300g), but seeing that there are so many knowledgeable le people here I figured that I could humbly ask for advice.

My tank cannot be drilled, so I'm trying g to make a DIY overflow, my goal is to have a sump with a pump of 1500gph. Do you think a 2" pipe will keep up with said gph rating? This is the design I came up with after watching some YouTube vids, but they all rely on a smaller hose drilled onto the top of the pipes to siphon the water. I don't think I can find such a big hose, nor if it's practical. Do you have any suggestions on how I can complete this project? I was about to give up and just buy an fx6 but decided to keep trying.

20230904_173017.jpg

1500gph is a lot of flow for a single siphon overflow. I realize freshwater is a very different filtration game, but do you need that much flow?

Using a peristaltic pump to suction the top of the U pipe would be a strong recommendation.

OP
OP
H

henryc88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1500gph is a lot of flow for a single siphon overflow. I realize freshwater is a very different filtration game, but do you need that much flow?

Using a peristaltic pump to suction the top of the U pipe would be a strong recommendation.
Thanks. I've seen everyone recommend 4x the tank's volume per hour for optimal filtration.

00W

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Call Jeff at Lifereef and he'll make you a hob overflow that might accommodate your needs.
At that flow rate, personally wouldn't attempt any diy. My opinion only.
I've been using eshopps for ever and never had a problem.
Biggest one they make I think is 1200 but wouldn't trust that value too much.
I have 110 gallons give or take and only run about 200 gph. Just me.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the design I came up with after watching some YouTube vids, but they all rely on a smaller hose drilled onto the top of the pipes to siphon the water. I don't think I can find such a big hose, nor if it's practical.

Solid pvc overflow that doesn’t have a pump to make sure the siphon isn’t broke and you can’t even see how much air has collected seems like a bad idea. The pump that connects to the top of the overflow doesn’t have to be very big at all, it’s only purpose is to make sure any air that collects in the pipe gets removed.

OP
OP
H

henryc88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Google search pretzel overflow aquarium

There's a few designs out there on other forums.

Any reason you can't use a HOB overflow?
I do not know about these, are they no drill too? Cannot drill cause the glass will shatter (tempered)

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20230904_173017.jpg

Look into a above the tank sump. Easy to build. Pump is in the tank pushing water to the sump, water overflows back to the tank.

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think having a funnel system set up would allow the water to be siphoned out at 1500gph. Water will over flow into the funnel a lot better vs a 3/4 hole

The funnel could be set higher vs lower as the example in my drawing. Once it hits that over flow level it will run straight down letting gravity do it’s job

IMG_4334.jpeg

OP
OP
H

henryc88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Call Jeff at Lifereef and he'll make you a hob overflow that might accommodate your needs.
At that flow rate, personally wouldn't attempt any diy. My opinion only.
I've been using eshopps for ever and never had a problem.
Biggest one they make I think is 1200 but wouldn't trust that value too much.
I have 110 gallons give or take and only run about 200 gph. Just me.
Oh wow I just saw the eshopps ones you mentioned, looks like exactly what I need! Thinking in getting this one and running it about 900gph. https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/pf-1200-hob-overflow-eshopps-1.html

Thanks a lot for the suggestion!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.7%
Back