OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sneak peek of the tank. Notice egg crate to help with linear motion. Side of egg crate will be discharge of pump.

20180625_194932.jpg

20180625_194920.jpg

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! Is that the new tank for the garage lab?

Started thinking about the flow. You could make it almost like a jellyfish kreisel, get the flow go round (like a washing machine). If you put a small plexiglass at the bottom corner, opposite side of the egg crates, in 45 degree angle. And put stream pumps on the other side, behind the egg crate, blowing along the bottom. Good way to keep the food from staying at the bottom.
Maybe you’ve already a plan, I just thought the tank looked a lot like one tank we rebuilt for jellyfish a couple of years ago :)

It’ll be great to see the progress!

/ David

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! Is that the new tank for the garage lab?

Started thinking about the flow. You could make it almost like a jellyfish kreisel, get the flow go round (like a washing machine). If you put a small plexiglass at the bottom corner, opposite side of the egg crates, in 45 degree angle. And put stream pumps on the other side, behind the egg crate, blowing along the bottom. Good way to keep the food from staying at the bottom.
Maybe you’ve already a plan, I just thought the tank looked a lot like one tank we rebuilt for jellyfish a couple of years ago :)

It’ll be great to see the progress!

/ David
Im going to try to create linear flow with one pump. Discharge pointing against glass like deflect , but behind egg crate, opposite of egg crate. Suction on opposite end. Then, create same pump setup, opposite end. So I time one pump come on for 15 minutes then off, turn on opposite pump. Back and forth linear motion. See what happens. Much better for corals.

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im going to try to create linear flow with one pump. Discharge pointing against glass like deflect , but behind egg crate, opposite of egg crate. Suction on opposite end. Then, create same pump setup, opposite end. So I time one pump come on for 15 minutes then off, turn on opposite pump. Back and forth linear motion. See what happens. Much better for corals.
I understand your plan! We've tried something similar, in another frag tank. But gave up when we both saw the result and calculated how much water needed to be pumped from one side to the other to get good flow. It's hard to move water:) So we've switched to stream pumps.
But if you get it to work and reverse the flow like you say it sounds like a great tank for Dendronephthya and Scleronephthya!

/ David

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what you mentioned, I see pool pumps coming into play. I've been looking at pumps. Also I have 4 stream pumps 1200 gph total, beside main pump I'm thinking of having stream pumps come on 2-4 sec. Like a surge. One side only.

Also filtration on my mind. Thinking which route to go. Will have sulfur denitrator when nitrates climb over 10ppm.

Lot of planning

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Note:

Water perimeter perfect for these Corals. But, after doing video and moved wavemakers, this caused Corals to retract and I stopped feeding 1 week, thinking I was over feeding . Now polyps expand 50%. Maybe atrophy. Now see if regrow. Stalk and branches fine

20180627_093422.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sallstrom see'em or see it and weep.
So when I bought 4 scleronephthya the forth one I attached to tank. To see if carousel had positive impact to the 3 other sclero . The 4th never opened up. So after (going to journal) 6 days, from day one acclimated , I cut 4 frags, 3 living, maybe all 4. Notice frags heal 2- 3days, but today found two (may have more) roots on one. Polyps not expanding, but roots taking off. Better get on it. Baby scleros coming. Next is hybrid them.

20180628_224724.jpg

20180628_224636.jpg

20180628_224604.jpg

20180628_224032.jpg

20180628_224006.jpg

20180628_223936.jpg

Last edited:

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 122 81.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back