Trying to skip cycle

Will_WhatIsThis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m setting up a 20 gallon nano to house some corals that are getting too big for my tank. My upgrade is going to take a lot longer with the virus going around. I don’t feel like going through a cycle/ugly stage, so I’m trying to skip it. Hopefully you fellow reefers can help me with my process, or tell me if I can even do this with what I have available. I know you aren’t supposed to use old sand, but my sand is just about as clean as old sand gets, so maybe I can seed new sand with the old? I have a small piece of love rock from my tank that I can use to seed the tank but that’s it. I also plan to add some old water from my tank into the new tank (maybe 10 gallons). I know that won’t do much but it’s betyer than nothing. Here’s where it gets sketchy. I have bio home ultimate in my canister filter, so maybe I could use some of that to seed the tank with bacteria? Biohome is like marine pure blocks and others. I also have a hob filter on my current tank. Maybe I could run that on the new tank since it has all the pads in it? Sorry for writing a novel! Hopefully someone can help.

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of the things you listed will work to seed a new setup.

hand full of old sand in with the new will seed it. The small piece of LR will bring bacteria. How small of a piece?

IMO, with 10 gallons of display water, good hand full of old sand, and the rock from display you can skip a cycle.

The uglies? Possibly, new sand if rinsed real well will help. also wondering how much new rock your adding? Rock is a gamble sometimes

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live rock and/or bottled bac.

OP
OP
Will_WhatIsThis

Will_WhatIsThis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of the things you listed will work to seed a new setup.

hand full of old sand in with the new will seed it. The small piece of LR will bring bacteria. How small of a piece?

IMO, with 10 gallons of display water, good hand full of old sand, and the rock from display you can skip a cycle.

The uglies? Possibly, new sand if rinsed real well will help. also wondering how much new rock your adding? Rock is a gamble sometimes
The piece of rock is probably about a pound. I plan on bringing in about 10-15 pounds of rock.

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might get a minor case of Diatoms on the new rocks. I would rinse rocks as well in RO then saltwater.
Happy to help!:)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back