Trying to understand kalkwasser.

Jared.matson.065

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 500L Cade and I would say it’s 70% LPS and 30% sps. Is it weird to only be dosing 3ml of calcium when I’m dosing 20 ml of alkalinity? Ive been wanting to start dosing kalkwasser but I’m worried my calcium will spike if I do. From my understanding kalkwasser doses equal parts cal and alk so how would that work in a system like mine where I’m dosing more than 6 times the amount of alkalinity to calcium.
parameters :
Alk:7.5
Cal:434
Mag:1200
Nitrate:1
Phosphate: 0.046
Ph:8.3

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 500L Cade and I would say it’s 70% LPS and 30% sps. Is it weird to only be dosing 3ml of calcium when I’m dosing 20 ml of alkalinity? Ive been wanting to start dosing kalkwasser but I’m worried my calcium will spike if I do. From my understanding kalkwasser doses equal parts cal and alk so how would that work in a system like mine where I’m dosing more than 6 times the amount of alkalinity to calcium.
parameters :
Alk:7.5
Cal:434
Mag:1200
Nitrate:1
Phosphate: 0.046
Ph:8.3
If you are dosing 2 part and you are not following the directions in the amount to dose then you are going to end up with a sodium and chloride imbalance. Kalkwasser btw doesn't cause this problem.

If dosed per instructions this imbalance is normally small and can be kept small and easily corrected through water changes. Long term misuse of two part will lead to unexpected or unexplained problems as the sodium chloride become imbalanced. Another problem with 2 part use without Balling additions will be that the sodium chloride if added correctly should be in balance with each other but will become out of balance with the other minerals. Once again done correctly this is usually manageable through water changes.

I highly suggest that you hit the rabbit hole and go deeper. There is a lot to understand here and many people are utterly blind as to what they are doing.

:)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back