TSA's New Farm Build; 10,000 Gallons of Aquacultured Awesomeness

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
TopShelfAquatics

TopShelfAquatics

Follow us on Instagram @topshelfaquatics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
How are you liking the Nyos skimmer? And what tables are you going to have displayed? We just went up to look at the 625 but you sold it! That 900 is nice though.

Also my post a couple post up got missed asking if a coral you showed off got a name yet.

We really like the big Nyos skimmers. Very easy to dial in and they skim like crazy! The 900s are definitely show stoppers!

OP
OP
TopShelfAquatics

TopShelfAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thank you for the updates.

Sort of oddball question. Have you considered swapping out your lights to the G5's? Not sure of the cost but it could be off set by selling the current. I was thinking of the spread and how maybe it may provide more coverage thus reducing total number of lights required. Then again a few threads here and there with people saying fan noise so maybe not now is time.

Oh - one last question. I was watching a few videos and forget who it was that did them of your setup. Is this tank after those showing the new rows of tanks and setup? Or in addition to I guess? I was trying to picture the time line :D

Thanks again - looks like you are all really busy which can be a good thing I think (as long as there is also family and/or other play time :) ).

Eventually we will make the switch over to the G5s, but we already had all the G4s for this current phase so it didn't make any sense to swap out right now. Currently the priority is to get all the tanks at the farm and store up and running. Plus the G4s have been performing great for us, so we're not in a rush to change. And I don't think we've had anyone come in and film at the new farm aside from the videos we post on our social media. We normally post pictures and videos the day we take them.

U

User1

View Badges
Eventually we will make the switch over to the G5s, but we already had all the G4s for this current phase so it didn't make any sense to swap out right now. Currently the priority is to get all the tanks at the farm and store up and running. Plus the G4s have been performing great for us, so we're not in a rush to change. And I don't think we've had anyone come in and film at the new farm aside from the videos we post on our social media. We normally post pictures and videos the day we take them.

Thanks. That makes sense.

I think the video was done by Russ over at youtube AmericanReefChannel. So many videos out there maybe I mixed it up. Sorry about that :). In any case great thread and all of us should be supporting those of you leading the charge in aquaculture :D

OP
OP
TopShelfAquatics

TopShelfAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Now that's an update!! Slow and steady wins the race and if we get big updates like that I'm happy waiting :D

It's coming together fantastically!!

Thank you! We'll definitely try to have more regular updates. Sometimes it gets a little hectic with so many moving parts that updates get put on the back burner, but we definitely enjoy sharing our progress with everyone.

Wrangy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! We'll definitely try to have more regular updates. Sometimes it gets a little hectic with so many moving parts that updates get put on the back burner, but we definitely enjoy sharing our progress with everyone.
Any update is a good update :) Even if it's literally a pic of some new shelves installed or of some smiling staff haha I can only imagine how many moving parts so whatever frequency of updates we get, I'm happy :D

shadow1013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@TopShelfAquatics what are you using in your refugium? Inappropriate Reefer had a video where Austin was showing the old farm tanks using dragons breath instead of chaeto. Is that what you are going to do with the new farm tanks? What would you suggest for lighting the refugium? You were using Radions but I think for most people that is overkill/expensive, especially since there isn't an XR15 freshwater version anymore.

OP
OP
TopShelfAquatics

TopShelfAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
@TopShelfAquatics what are you using in your refugium? Inappropriate Reefer had a video where Austin was showing the old farm tanks using dragons breath instead of chaeto. Is that what you are going to do with the new farm tanks? What would you suggest for lighting the refugium? You were using Radions but I think for most people that is overkill/expensive, especially since there isn't an XR15 freshwater version anymore.
Hi there, we will be continuing the use of dragon's breath for the refugiums. For us its not just the effectiveness for nutrient export but also because it has some resale value(I can't say the same for chaeto). We use Radions in the refugiums simply because its easier than having to replace bulbs, be super careful about salt creep or deal with excessive heat. I would try and find any strong LED lighting you can find via the interwebs. Depending on the budget you're trying to keep within you could buy any of the LED bulbs available on the marked for an "outdoor" use, you could get a black box LED, or you could use a Kessil.

OP
OP
TopShelfAquatics

TopShelfAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Not much of an update but we did a soft count of the lights between the old tanks and the new tanks and we are officially at 325 Radion lights at TSA o_O

shadow1013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good! I was between the IM CheatoMax and the Tunze 8800 series lights. The new sumps on the Red Sea tanks have a refugium divider, is that fully black? The last few times I was up there I totally forgot to look and I cannot remember if you have a v3 sump out of the box set up in one.

Hi there, we will be continuing the use of dragon's breath for the refugiums. For us its not just the effectiveness for nutrient export but also because it has some resale value(I can't say the same for chaeto). We use Radions in the refugiums simply because its easier than having to replace bulbs, be super careful about salt creep or deal with excessive heat. I would try and find any strong LED lighting you can find via the interwebs. Depending on the budget you're trying to keep within you could buy any of the LED bulbs available on the marked for an "outdoor" use, you could get a black box LED, or you could use a Kessil.

OP
OP
TopShelfAquatics

TopShelfAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Just a quick update for you guys. We got one of our larger systems transferred over from our old farm to our new one. It's doing awesome! Definitely not easy transferring large mature systems, but our farm guys did an awesome job! Also our fish QT room/ fragging room is making progress. Just waiting for our new fragging tables to arrive. Also some of the new systems are mature enough now to where we began adding some of our SPS colonies to them! Still a lot of work to be done, but we are excited for what's ahead! Hope everyone is staying safe right now! Also check out our eye candy thread if you guys are stuck at home and bored lol.

49753420321_2e540a4a1c_b.jpg

49752885273_e6aceac1a0_b.jpg

49753419816_27d38be26f_b.jpg

49753754442_9a82d787d7_b.jpg

49753754347_ac0c56e762_b.jpg

U

User1

View Badges
We don't like thinking about that... lol

Do you have solar? Depending on location and generation window may be something to consider to help reduce operating costs. Which...I'm not going to lie could be passed down to the customers :). Or, well, also passed to the business and employees :D. Either works.

OP
OP
TopShelfAquatics

TopShelfAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Sorry for the lack of updates again guys and gals! Things have been going non stop here at the TSA farm. Today is a great day though! Our all new fragging station is complete! Hope you guys like it!

49923996162_1bca8e741b_b.jpg

49923170843_a084e32370_b.jpg

49923689161_4c6d5417e4_b.jpg

49923170713_6c06489a60_b.jpg

49923996332_252aebe953_b.jpg

49923170923_0ef9e49536_b.jpg

49923170643_acccda805a_b.jpg

49923996587_b3ef2d34e5_b.jpg

49923171378_79ec439359_b.jpg

49923996967_e2aecfb8c7_b.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 35.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back