TTM experts please chime in!

ThePlummer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've Been doing TTM with great success in the past. I've recently been experiencing about a 50% loss rate, for various reasons recently. I've been studying and reviewing all the latest protocol changes recommended by @Humblefish, and trying to incorporate and treat for as many possible diseases/parasites as possible during the 15 day QT.

I'd like to explain my protocol to see if anyone thinks I'm missing something, or doing something wrong.

1. All corals and inverts go into a fishless Innovative Marine 14 peninsula that is well established, for 76 days. Corals get dipped before placing them into QT. No problems there at all.

2. I pick out a fish from LFS that doesn't have any visible damage or parasites, and (most of the time) eating well.

3. Fish is placed into a 1 gallon pitcher with all the LFS water and drip acclimated over a period of no less than 2 hours, dumping off the acclimation water twice before going into QT. All parameters of the acclimation aquarium (Innovative Marine 20 Peninsula, fish only) are verified and adjusted before acclimation begins. Salinity 1.024 Temp 78 F. All other fish are active healthy and other parameters are checked weekly, so I know they are good.

I drain off between 2 and 4 gallons of tank water out of the acclimation tank into a 5 gallon bucket, depending on the size of the fish to be acclimated. I place a heater and air stone into the bucket, while the new arrival is going through drip acclimation. Water is replaced with fresh SW, that matches the tank parameters.

4. Once acclimation is complete, fish goes into the bucket for 36Hr. QT with double strength Prazipro. The next 36Hr. QT is in a clean, dry, fresh bucket, with a clean/dry heater and airstone/line. I have 6 small heaters and air stones, and cycle them through, so they are always dry before I use them.

On the second 36Hr. QT there is no Prazipro, so it gets a break from Prazipro to recover. 3rd. Change is 36 Hr with Prazi again. 4th 36 No Prazi.

5. Starts first 72Hr. QT 1/2 way through, it gets Prazi added. 6th and 7th 72 Hr. QT is just water.

If the fish is tiny, I usually don't add Ammoloc to the 36Hr. dips, but if it's larger, I double the amount of TTM water, and add Ammoloc, either at the beginning, or 1/2 way through.

Here's what I'm experiencing:

Recently lost 4 Coral Beauties. One wouldn't eat from the get go. One stopped eating 1/2 way through and one made it to the last day of QT and was determined to have flukes. That's when I started adding Prazipro to the protocol.

Last night was the last straw. Brought home a medium sized Blue Girdled Majestic Angel. Picked him out at the LFS a week ago, and asked them to hold it for a week, as it was a new arrival and wasn't eating well yet and had some white frost on it's fins. If it made it in their copper treatment, I'd take it the next week.

When I picked up the Angelfish, the water at the LFS was visibly yellow hued, and I assumed that was a strong copper treatment. They said the fish was eating well that morning, and it was active and looked good.

Brought it home and began the acclimation process, but took extra time 3 hours. Next morning it was dead in the QT bucket with 4 gallons of water. I did add Prazipro and Ammoloc at the onset.

The only thing I can come up with at this point, is that their might be the possibility that the Prazipro and Ammoloc might be toxic when combined. Or, that the fish had copper in it's system and taking it directly from a copper environment to Prazipro might have been toxic.

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated on confirming or correcting my protocol, as this is getting really frustrating. Especially since I've had over a 90% success rate in the past.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s likely an oxygenation issue. I understand you are using an air stone but a power head with movement of water including agitation of the water at the surface is much more important and creates sufficient oxygen in the water column. Prazipro also depletes the oxygen so I think the combination of prazi and no water movement are your issue. Using buckets with a small amount of water are also a contributing factor. I wouldn’t use less than a 20g aquarium for a QT. Typically a 40g for fish that are super oxygen sensitive like an angel. I have used a 10g for emergency situations. So I think if you ditch the buckets and get a larger water volume with proper oxygenation your success rate will improve.

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since gas exchange takes place @ the surface I'm inclined to agree with HotRocks.
Buckets gave minimum surface area compared to a rectangular tank.

OP
OP
ThePlummer

ThePlummer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting...I used to implement a small powerhead, but I've found that even the cheapest smallest ones from Petco, are too strong for the fish in a bucket.

I'll try to think of ways to agitate the water surface, other than an air stone.

OP
OP
ThePlummer

ThePlummer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm probably not going to take your advice on aquariums over buckets, because I've had such success in the past.. However, I do recall that I used to use small powerheads in the buckets and I don't know why I stopped using them. Quite frankly, I just forgot about the fact that I did use them.

I suspect that the threshold of oxygenation depletion is too great, when using Prazi.

I'm looking into some adjustable flow powerheads, so I can dial in the flow I want, as well as don't need to use an airstone at all and just use the air venturi on the powerheads.

I'm thinking this is the direction I'm going to head, moving forward, unless there is something else that I'm missing.

I like using white only buckets, because it causes a lot less stress on the fish when moving from one white bucket to another. They seem to feed within 1/2 hour after transfer,,,, usually.

OP
OP
ThePlummer

ThePlummer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I've decided to bite the bullet and buy 2 Innovative Marine Aqua Gadget Mini DC wave pumps. They are a bit pricey but I'm very impressed with everything I've purchased from Innovative Marine so far. As well as, I've been meaning to buy of these anyway for the two aquariums I already have, if I can't make them work the way I want them too.

OP
OP
ThePlummer

ThePlummer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s likely an oxygenation issue. I understand you are using an air stone but a power head with movement of water including agitation of the water at the surface is much more important and creates sufficient oxygen in the water column. Prazipro also depletes the oxygen so I think the combination of prazi and no water movement are your issue. Using buckets with a small amount of water are also a contributing factor. I wouldn’t use less than a 20g aquarium for a QT. Typically a 40g for fish that are super oxygen sensitive like an angel. I have used a 10g for emergency situations. So I think if you ditch the buckets and get a larger water volume with proper oxygenation your success rate will improve.
Update: The purchase of the Innovative Marine Nano Wave pumps was absolutely the ticket.

I would highly recommend this method, as I've encountered zero fish loss during TTM. And I've done at least ten fish now, including a medium sized powder blue tang.

The only thing is, you MUST set the wave pump to the lowest setting possible, turn the frequency of the pump as infrequent as possible (all the way counter clockwise on the dial), and I put the pump at the bottom of the bucket, with the head pointing straight up. The fish seem to tolerate the turbulence much better if the pump points up and cycles quickly.

Thanks for the oxygenation possibility issue. For some reason I stopped using a powerhead, that was my biggest mistake. I now have 4 innovative Marine wave pumps so I can have two separate TTM QT's going at once.

I have since stopped the assumed Prazipro protocall though... Haven't seen any signs of disease necesssitating the need though, as I'm using a new LFS who seems to copper treat better than the last store. I am thinking of re implementing Prazi again to the protocall again, since I've got the oxygen issue solved. Will report again with results.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 28 60.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back