TTM with anemones?

germs101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this is a ridiculous idea I apologize, but can TTM be done on anemones that aren't attached? I just got a flower anemone, and would love to not have to wait 76 days to put it in the display since it has no hard surface. Thoughts?

GHsaltie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, the anemone won't be affected by it. However it can be a host and bring the parasite into the display. OP I don't know whether TTM can be used on inverts and nems but I'll tag those who may have an answer for you.
@Humblefish @melypr1985

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add it to your tank. Crypto will not effect it.

^^ This; although it would be prudent to pour some DT water over it (and into a bucket to be discarded.) Or isolate it to a fishless environment for 48 hrs to be really safe. Nems have no hard surfaces, and thus tomonts cannot encyst; however they absorb a lot of water so you want to be mindful of theronts (free swimmers) which die within 48 hrs if denied a fish host to feed upon. :)

OP
OP
germs101

germs101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, thanks! Now, would placing it in a coral qt for 48 hours work then? The coral in this tank have been fishless for about a month, or would the bucket be better in this case?

Reefrookie220

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion if you add the nem to an existing qt that you've had going fishless due to disease, it would start you back at day one. Just to be safe I'd go the bucket/container.

OP
OP
germs101

germs101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion if you add the nem to an existing qt that you've had going fishless due to disease, it would start you back at day one. Just to be safe I'd go the bucket/container.
The coral qt is totally precautionary. I would think the same as you, but it was mentioned Theronts are my concern here rather than Tomonts. If I go the bucket route, does the anemone need an air stone running?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The coral qt is totally precautionary. I would think the same as you, but it was mentioned Theronts are my concern here rather than Tomonts. If I go the bucket route, does the anemone need an air stone running?

I would go the bucket route, air stone and heater should get the job done. If your coral QT contained "unhatched" tomonts, those could release theronts into the water that the nem could come into contact with. This is all ridiculous I know, but its how the game is played. ;)

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha! I once tried explaining the rationale to my husband...I won't try that again!

My wife understands it; she just doesn't like it due to all the tanks I have spread out all over the house. ;)

OP
OP
germs101

germs101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This same 48 hour protocol would also work on other invertebrates without a hard surface also, such as cucumbers and nudibranches? Are there any CUC critters that would qualify for the 48 hour route unlike crabs and snails that need a 76 day quarantine?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This same 48 hour protocol would also work on other invertebrates without a hard surface also, such as cucumbers and nudibranches?

Yes

Are there any CUC critters that would qualify for the 48 hour route unlike crabs and snails that need a 76 day quarantine?

Possibly soft corals without a base. Although I know leather corals (for example) have hard "skeletal needles" for absorbing calcium. :confused:

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 7 6.4%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 29 26.6%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 53 48.6%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 18 16.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.8%
Back