Prevailing Reef’s 262 Gallon In-Wall Reef Build Thread

I got the Modular Marine overflow.

I had him do teeth on the back of the weir as well in order to double the flow capability without having to double the length of the weir.

Some like maximum length for surface skimming.

I prefer as inconspicuous of an overflow as possible.

IMG_9683.JPG IMG_9682.JPG
 
Took 5 of us to move. Suction cups work great and I highly recommend them. I rented 8.

Front and sides - 5/8 ultra clear glass.

Bottom and back - 3/4 regular glass.

All non-tempered.

Left and back panels painted black.

550 pounds!

IMG_9488.JPG IMG_9486.JPG IMG_9484.JPG
 
Last edited:
I will be putting trim around the tank which will cover the gap as well as aluminum tank frame.

Similar to what I had on my previous 90 gallon in-wall (picture at the beginning of this thread).
 
Custom Aquariums drilled holes 1/8" incorrectly.

Long story short, they ended up paying for my Modular Marine overflow so I could have a new one made.

They pushed back a little trying to claim a 1/8" tolerance for their holes, however I was never made aware of that margin because that documentation is included with their branded products.

The Modular Marine overflow was an exception that they tried to steer me away from but I insisted since I heard so many great things about it.

Either way, they ended up taking care of me.

Their first solution was to shave the bulkhead threads off in order to get a little more wiggle room to make it fit.

I just couldn't get myself to agree to modifying anything since this was a brand new custom tank.
 
Last edited:
Before test filling, the floor needs attention.

Here is how I reinforced my floor:

The floor joists are 2x6, 16 OC.

The back of the tank backs up to a load bearing stem wall.

I added a 7 foot 4x6 beam which are supported by 3 floor jacks on concrete piers which I dug down a foot and poured concrete. The pre fab piers were placed on top of the 1 foot deep footing.

This 4x6 beam is running along underneath the front of the tank.

Post jacks were purchase off Amazon. I believe they are Akron Post Jacks. Just get the length range you need. Super simple.

IMG_9648.jpg IMG_9647.jpg IMG_9646.jpg IMG_9641.JPG IMG_9640.JPG IMG_9637.JPG IMG_9636.JPG IMG_9635.JPG IMG_9634.JPG IMG_9633.JPG
 
I'm questioning whether or not my 2x8 with no center brace on the back top frame is sufficient. I'm worried about deflection, not a total failure.

Here are pictures of the measurements from the middle of the 2x8 before and after I filled with water 7 inches from the top.

IMG_9675.jpg IMG_9674.jpg
 
Still trying to decide on which sump to get.

I really like the CL-60 from Synergy Reef.

Something about the look of their sumps just stands out to me.

My plan is to get as big of a sump as possible (60x18 inches).

My laundry is directly across from back of the tank with a hallway separating the 2 areas.

I'm going to install my water mixing station in the laundry as well as top of reservoir which will run under the house and back up to pump water to the return section of my sump.

IMG_9686.JPG
 
Just went through the build, really nice and clean. I’m considering adding an in-wall tank to a basement wall so I appreciate your work so far.

Got any updates? Thanks!
 
Nice looking sump!
 
The upgrade build looks great. Did you shutdown the 90 or just relocate for now until this tank is up and running?

The 90 is still running.

I’m trying to decide whether I want to get all new rock or just move all the rock from the 90 over to the new one and then add a little new rock to that.

The reason I’m torn about it is because I have had a substantial amount of bubble algae in my 90 for years.
 
Are you planning to keep both tanks running in the long run? If no then I would take the rock out and into a bucket of old water and remove/pop them over several months. Unless you stay on top of it, they could transfer over when you move your corals. Then again new corals can also introduce it again.

or what about using the rock in a refuge zone of your sump? Add a rabbit fish and lots of crabs/urchins.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 10 47.6%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 7 33.3%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 10 47.6%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 33.3%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new