Tulip polyp

Jdadams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any one have experience with it and how to treat it? I got a new blue staghorn piece and about 3 of the tips were puffy and soft. I had to clue what it was so I cut them since I knew it couldn’t be good. After doing a bit of research I’ve came to the conclusion it’s tulip polyp. A lot of different theories on what causes it as well. Wondering if anyone else has dealt with it and the coral survive and grow normal after treating or just trimming the infected branches?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nobody really knows anything and all of my info comes from a talk a few decades ago from a marine biology pHd.... mostly bad, bacterial drive and can spread... treat like cancer. Cut the branches off and hope for the best. All of that said, it could change in a heartbeat with any kind of good or more recent info.

I know that this is not all that helpful, so sorry.

OP
OP
Jdadams

Jdadams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to give it a couple weeks and give it a chance. Still got PE so fingers crossed it heals and grows

SantaMonica

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First time hearing of this. So these tulips just insert themselves it the body of another coral?

Generally, I would think that if the health of the main coral good, then it should be able to stop this.

OP
OP
Jdadams

Jdadams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First time for me too. I’ve read a couple other threads from various forums about it as well. All like JDA stated above, bacterial and can spread. Clip branches and hope for the best. The polyp gets infected and the area around it bubbles up and turns soft.

Hugo Tait

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to give it a couple weeks and give it a chance. Still got PE so fingers crossed it heals and grows
Hi,

Sure you've seen my thread already but just in case (https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/tulip-polyp-syndrome-and-neoplasia.819707/)

I never got to the bottom of this in my two systems and always suspected it was to do with the amount of nutrients and particles (I didn't have any fish). When nutrients were increased, it seemed to disappear. Didn't follow me over to the new system. I can't comment on it being bacterial or not as it went away before beginning antibiotic trials.

Best,

Hugo

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 32.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back