tuning Vertex Omega 150 skimmer

mrtian97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a used vertex omega 150, setup in 7.5" water level in the sump. Only been 1 wk, I see a lot of "micro bubbles" on top 1/4 of the skimmer body. Any suggestion on how to tune this properly? I played around with the water outlet and also the round part of the pump that control the air tubing.

have not been able to get dark skimmate, more tea color

Thanks

underwaterdan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've realized that you need a few days without messing with any of the settings to figure this skimmer out. Then make an adjustment and wait another few days. Once you start making good skimate this is an amazing skimmer.

tvu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try the aquamaxx co skimmers. Awesome dark skimmate and easy to dial in. I've had aquac, RO and others in the past

jeremy.gosnell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Omega 180i, essentially the same skimmer just a bit larger. I've found it's most effective when the pump's volute (the small white knob running into the pump) is turned to allow maximum airflow into the skimmer. This means loosening the volute as much as possible without removing it from the pump entirely. Also, I adjust the water output tube (the red tube which the air silencer rests on) so that it's as closed as possible. I also run the skimmer in 9" of water. With that setting, I get a dry frothy foam and usually fill the collection cup with coffee like skim-mate every few days.

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a 130 and 180 and on both I've turned the volute (round part on the pump) about 1 1/4 turns...screw it all the way in against the pump then 1 1/4 turn out. Let it sit at that for a day or so and adjust until you get it skimming like you want.

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be trying some of these suggestions also. I have 150 that's been finicky. I had to place two layers of eggcrate under mine to stop it from overflowing constantly. What is weird is that it worked fine on the bottom of the sump (9") for ~5days making a pretty nice dark skimmate, then went overflowing nuts.

Right now I believe the volute is fully closed, and I have the outlet barely closed. Closing the outlet any more causes overflow. It alternates between not making skimmate in the cup (building up on the column walls) and making light colored skimmate.

midtnmike41

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If i had to guess I would say I'm doing about 600GPH, prob about 6x turnover. I have a DC pump on the 2nd lowest setting, I could slow it down a little....or speed it up A LOT.

midtnmike41

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be trying some of these suggestions also. I have 150 that's been finicky. I had to place two layers of eggcrate under mine to stop it from overflowing constantly. What is weird is that it worked fine on the bottom of the sump (9") for ~5days making a pretty nice dark skimmate, then went overflowing nuts.

Right now I believe the volute is fully closed, and I have the outlet barely closed. Closing the outlet any more causes overflow. It alternates between not making skimmate in the cup (building up on the column walls) and making light colored skimmate.

Sounds exactly like mine. I have tried it with the volute in and out and every where in between and can tell no difference at all. I am debating trying an aquamaxx or rlss. I wished I could get the vertex to work, its built like a tank, it just doesn't perform like id expect.

OP
OP
mrtian97

mrtian97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my 150 will go crazy and overflowing after I dose Redsea Reef Energy A and B (I dose these twice/wk). Now I left the skimmer off for 8 hrs or so after I dose the Reef Energy.

Prior to that, I also have the same overflowing issue after the skimmer was working fine for couple wks, I ended up adding more eggcrate to raise, now it's in about 7" water level

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first got my 130 it took over a week for it to break in and settle down. The 180 took several days. The key thing is to make small adjustments to one thing at a time and let it sit for a while so it settles into the new setting.

midtnmike41

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it normal for these 2 pieces to come apart? They fit together pretty loosely. Also below is pretty much how my 150 sits all the time. I think the only thing i get in the cup is the condensation drippings.

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it normal for these 2 pieces to come apart? They fit together pretty loosely. Also below is pretty much how my 150 sits all the time. I think the only thing i get in the cup is the condensation drippings.

I'm not positive because I haven't tried to specifically remove that piece, but I don't think it's supposed to come off. I do know that white part comes off like so
upload_2016-7-28_9-22-20.png
upload_2016-7-28_9-27-39.png

Mine is finally behaving better. I thought it was in 9" of water, but after much frustration, cleaning, and completely disassembling the thing. I finally measured the water level in my sump and well, you what they say about assumptions.... Turns about it was sitting in 9.5" of water. I hacked some pvc into 1" rings to raise up the skimmer and it's like magic! It hasn't overflowed in 2 days now (which is a record).

midtnmike41

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mine at 7.5in and it never overflows. Well I cant say never. I have to turn it off for about 10 min when I change filter socks or it will overflow. I've read some people soak their socks in RODI before changing them and it helps but I just shut my skimmer off when I do it. It usually takes a few hours to start creating foam after a filter sock change. I had to set mine in 6.5in when it was new to keep it from overflowing, but seems to be happy in 7.5 now. Just doesn't pull out what I would expect. My expectations might be too high though.

diablo243

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 130 and it must have been blessed by Zeus himself because I turned it on, spun the volute out 3/4 turn and then worked the pipe till the bubbles were mid neck and bam less than 24hrs later a nice dark skimmate and the thing has been hands off ever since! Plumbed to my slop sink so no cup cleaning and it just chugs away, I had read several posts like this about the vertex being a PIA but mine somehow just worked. Here is the pic of what mine is producing for a dry skin and this pic was taken less than 48hrs after turning on.

c18767afee16d96d84a6f2ad2d4619fe.jpg

405ec2a1ef4300094fe31b74f05c17d6.jpg

TheFishGuyKW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need help with my Omega Vertex 150. I've had it for like two months now and I don't get any skimmate, just a lot of bubbles. 1st month I didn't worry about it because I was Cycling it, but now I have Predators in my tank and still no skimmate! Please help!!!!

underwaterdan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very old thread. However I will try and help the best I can. How high is the water in your skimmer? Above or below the neck? How high do the bubbles go?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 72 38.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back