Tunze 1073.05 Not turning - blue light flashing

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just received my new Tunze 1073.05 pump. Installed in my sump as the return pump (replacing the Sicce 2.0 - now a backup).

Initially on energizing pump turned and moved water but heard noticeable ticking after ramping up. Powered off and on, still noticeable ticking. Took pump apart to ensure rotor and rotor bearings were seated. They were (or at least appeared to be). Reassembled and pump did not turn but could hear and see rotor attempting to turn every second and blue light on controller flashed in time with rotor movement.

Figured I must have caused a worse misalignment the first time. Powered off and rechecked seating. Rotor turns freely - as much as I can tell with the magnets holding it in anyway. Took a pen and made sure the bottom bearing was seated. It appears to be. Powered on, same indications - flashing light and no significant motion. Repeated this 3 times.

Suggestions on next steps?

Thanks.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @Quietman

Sorry I just saw this. We’re you able to get it squared away?

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, if the bearing at the bottom is seated fully (it should not easily pull out or fall out and will need to be pulled with a hook, etc). The other possibilities would be that it has some air trapped inside so the run dry protection is triggered, and if that is not it, I have to assume there is a defect and we would exchange it for you.

OP
OP
Quietman

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I checked again and turned it on that night. Found out you need to keep the darn thing powered on to actually reset the pump. Makes sense, I'm sure low water reset is on a timer than only runs with power.

That issue is "fixed" the error was on me - an ID-ten-T error.

I'm still, after 3 days, hearing a bit of a rattle coming from the pump, it's gradually decreasing in volume and I suspect it's trapped air, or possibly just needs some gunk to build up to run smooth. How long do I wait before thinking it's more than just break in time?

The previous pump (by an Italian manufacturer that shall go nameless) took more than week so I assume the same week or two before finally breaking in.

Side note: just received my 2 Tunze 6055s (Black Friday) and come this weekend, the skimmer and all water movement is German engineered perfection.

Last edited:

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I would not expect air to remain in the pump for more than 3 days, barring any sharp angles or restrictions in flow. In general most pumps need 2 weeks for everything to seat, and since this is a rare earth magnet drive unit pump, their is a stronger oscillation than a ceramic magnet pump, meaning some hum will persist indefinitely. This is a trade off, to get the energy efficiency we rely on a very strong permanent magnet, and as the poles rotate, their is vibration produced by the strong magnetic pull. All the same, they are still a very quiet retrun pump and should be any louder, than a pump of comparable price/quality like Eheim, etc. If it still seems noisy in a few more days, I think we should consider swapping the impeller.

OP
OP
Quietman

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Roger. Understand normal hum...prefer it actually...some odd to me about a totally silent pump. I like being able to hear it work instead of just relying on the light. This is definitely a soft rattle rather than a hum.

I'll let go over the weekend and check back early next week.

Thanks for the great and prompt support.

OP
OP
Quietman

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Roger....Well, it's been over a week and if anything it's a tad louder that it was and definitely louder than the Sicce (AC) I had in there before. I would absolutely be satisfied if were as quiet as before since I was only looking for a controllable pump and the feed timeout feature more so than any degree of absolute silence.

Plus it's not just a hum as I've said...but a rattle sound (reminds me more than anything of my old Rabbit Diesel - but much quieter of course, or maybe a failing relay chatter if you've head that) and it's noticeable away from the closed cabinet. The Tunze 9410 DC was the louder than the Sicce and now the skimmer is not noticeable.

Just can't help thinking I either never seated the bushings correctly or perhaps I damaged them inadvertently trying to seat them. I used small rubber handle and well, not my first rodeo seating bushings but it isn't the easiest access. :)

So if we could I'd like to pursue the rotor/bushing replacement (I assume they come as a unit). Let me know next steps please.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forward a copy of the receipt to Tunze at sbcglobal dot net and I will get one out, it does include new bushings.

OP
OP
Quietman

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Roger...hope your holidays were enjoyable.

I haven't received the rotor - but I did keep the pump on since install and it's run in nicely over the last few weeks and is much quieter so that's less of an issue now.

I am having another issue now...when I turn off the pump to feed my tank, it has not started up without going into a failure mode. It'll attempt to start after the normal 'feed mode time' and then cycle off for 5 min (approx) with the blue indicator flashing, then start normally.

I've checked water level in return and it's fine (higher of course when pump off but never drops below top of pump when turning on). It started a week ago. Haven't had any running issues at all since installed (other than the noise above), never has run dry and I haven't had any power issues at my house.

Thoughts? Do I have any reliability concerns? Is this bad low level detector?

Thanks in advance for your time.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something is sticking, can you please message me your name so I can look up what happened with the replacement rotor?

OP
OP
Quietman

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apologies! I Just checked...the email with my receipt was still in my drafts folder. Just hit send, please confirm if you see it. I'll message you with my name/details so you can confirm.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got it, we will get it out tomorrow.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 43.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back