Tunze 3155 ATO loud pump?

Arcu2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rarely notice when my ATO kicks on and today I happened to be working in the sump when it went off and I swear I don’t remember my tunze ato pump being this loud. Does this sound like a bad pump? I’ve shaken it underwater to try and remove water air is trapped and it’s still loud.

Last edited:

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This happened to me as well. I bought a spare because I figured the pump was going bad and wanted to have a backup just in case. A year later and it was still working but was also still quite loud. I figured it didn't make sense to have the new pump as the backup so I switched them and now the loud pump is the backup. I couldn't get mine to be quiet so no idea what to tell you other than get another pump, enjoy the silence, and feel good about having a backup. :0)

OP
OP
Arcu2

Arcu2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This happened to me as well. I bought a spare because I figured the pump was going bad and wanted to have a backup just in case. A year later and it was still working but was also still quite loud. I figured it didn't make sense to have the new pump as the backup so I switched them and now the loud pump is the backup. I couldn't get mine to be quiet so no idea what to tell you other than get another pump, enjoy the silence, and feel good about having a backup. :0)
I emailed tunze about it and they told me to suspend the pump so it’s not touching the glass. Not really a fix to what the problem is. Feel like it’s just putting a bandaid on the problem of their pumps being loud. Especially since my reservoir is only like 3 gallons suspending it would run the risk of it running dry sooner.

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I emailed tunze about it and they told me to suspend the pump so it’s not touching the glass. Not really a fix to what the problem is. Feel like it’s just putting a bandaid on the problem of their pumps being loud. Especially since my reservoir is only like 3 gallons suspending it would run the risk of it running dry sooner.
I don't think that's the solution either. I tried this too and it didn't work. Have you taken it out and run it in vinegar or other cleaning solution? Might be worth a shot. Thankfully they aren't very expensive so I'd just recommend ordering another one right away and then tinker with the loud one.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a Tunze forum here. Roger will respond quickly.

OP
OP
Arcu2

Arcu2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think that's the solution either. I tried this too and it didn't work. Have you taken it out and run it in vinegar or other cleaning solution? Might be worth a shot. Thankfully they aren't very expensive so I'd just recommend ordering another one right away and then tinker with the loud one.
I’m just going to order another pump. If it does the same thing I’ll just go a different route. I’ve been thinking about switching to the duetto I love how small the controller is and not so many wires.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't order another pump, it's under warranty. The Tunze forum on here is where you need to be, Roger will send you out another pump. For the record, they are not silent pumps.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Arcu2

Arcu2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't order another pump, it's under warranty. The Tunze forum on here is where you need to be, Roger will send you out another pump.
He's the one that actually emailed me back today and told me to suspend the pump higher in the container so it wouldn't touch any surfaces of the RO reservoir but its still loud after doing that. I wasn't offered a replacement pump after sending the same video explaining the situation. For as much as these ATO's cost (this one being on the higher end) you would think they include a better pump but hey that's just my personal opinion. Other than the loud pump this ATO hasn't failed me.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah they're not quiet, luckily they only run every once in a while. I've been using them for 25 years without fail.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does loud mean? One person's dead silent is an airplane taking off to another. If you don't secure down the pump, you can hear it very well. If you mount it to something, I get a small hum... but that could be loud to another person.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back