Tunze 3155 optical sensor won't work until I let it touch the water

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Gaoweihd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I've had my 3155 ATO for about 10 months and recently it won't start the pump when the water level drops. This happens once everyday, I've found that nudging the optical sensor into the water for a second then moving it back helps, and it will work for serveral times until next failure. Cleaning it won't help, and the floating sensor doesn't stuck and work normally.

It's located in the return pump chamber, near the refugium, which has an all-spectrum light on at night. Does it seem to be a problem with the optical sense, or could the refugium light at night be affecting it?

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If a light emits infrared, it will affect the sensor, the sensor works on emitting and receiving infrared light.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, be sure to do a thorough cleaning, a dull haze of minerals will blind the sensor, you may only be able to see this when the sensor is dry, one hour in vinegar followed by wiping it with a soft towel is the best way to clean them and get it off the magnet so you can check all sides.

OP
OP
Gaoweihd

Gaoweihd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, be sure to do a thorough cleaning, a dull haze of minerals will blind the sensor, you may only be able to see this when the sensor is dry, one hour in vinegar followed by wiping it with a soft towel is the best way to clean them and get it off the magnet so you can check all sides.
Thanks, I'll do a thorough cleaning. I think the light shouldn't emit infrared, it's a all spectrum reef refugium light.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally anything made to grow plants, grow light spectrum, will usually include infrared.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I'll do a thorough cleaning. I think the light shouldn't emit infrared, it's a all spectrum reef refugium light.
Try keeping the light off for a day and see if the ATO works...

OP
OP
Gaoweihd

Gaoweihd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally anything made to grow plants, grow light spectrum, will usually include infrared.
Doesn't it seem contradictory that the ATO sensor and the refugium light are often positioned closely together in the sump? I would think this could be a common issue for reef hobbyists if so.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Osmolator has been around for 20+ years, way before LED refugium lights. Any optic sensor based top off will have this vulnerability and it is solved by simply relocating the lights and sensors so that the sensor is out of the path of illumination.

OP
OP
Gaoweihd

Gaoweihd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Problem solved! I relocated the refugium light, and then dip the optical sensor in vinegar for 4 hours, and the ATO has been working 100% reliable for 3 days now.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 21 13.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 92 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.9%
Back