Tunze 3162 not moving water through it

craiginphoenix

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I got a Tunze 3162 and it doesn't appear to be working. It is set to the max setting but shouldn't I feel some flow when I put my finger to the outlet? It doesn't seem to be moving any water through it. Not sure if I should return it or if this is right or if I am doing something wrong.

This is without any media, just running it.

Any ideas?

OP
C

craiginphoenix

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I got a Tunze 3162 and it doesn't appear to be working. It is set to the max setting but shouldn't I feel some flow when I put my finger to the outlet? It doesn't seem to be moving any water through it. Not sure if I should return it or if this is right or if I am doing something wrong.

This is without any media, just running it.

Any ideas?
So I took it apart again and it still wasn't sending water through so I took it out briefly while it was on and put it back in and it started working. No I wasn't crazy or stupid. When I put it back in the water I could feel it pushing water through, which it wasn't prior. Again, this was with no floss, media, anything. And it is brand new. Should I just consider this a blip, or a harbinger of things to come and return it now and get a new one?

I love the other Tunze stuff I have (a skimmer) and they are considered the best but I am not sure what to think.

rvitko

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
This is usually air in the pump as Buckster described, it can also be that the impeller is stock from packing debris, every pump is test run at the factory, it is only for some seconds, but because of this test run they are slightly wet, and the dust from peanuts, cardboard, etc, can stick inside the impeller well and gum them up. Worst case, the only issue is an impeller flaw and we can send a replacement impeller if it happens again.

OP
C

craiginphoenix

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
So....this is still happening.

It works for a day or two, and then it gets clogged or something and it stops pushing water out. I take all the media out and it is still not working. I lift it out and let it clear out all the water, and it starts working again.

I am using about a cup of carbon with filter floss as my media.

I have seen people mentioning having to "burp" their pump and that is very close to what it sounds like the pump is doing.

Any idea what I am doing wrong here? I can't constantly check correct this. I need to figure out a way to make it work.

Have you ever torn down a tank over an issue you couldn't seem to beat?

• Yes! I have. (Tell us about what issue you faced in the thread.)

Votes: 183 24.6%
  • No. Thankfully, I haven't.

Votes: 383 51.5%
  • Nope, but it almost happened. (Share your experience in the thread.)

Votes: 55 7.4%
  • Not yet, but I'm almost there. (Tell us what you're dealing with.)

Votes: 61 8.2%
  • If you reef long enough, this will eventually happen to you.

Votes: 47 6.3%
  • Other

Votes: 14 1.9%
Ecotech Marine