Tunze 3171 reactor

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Roger, just bought my first Calcium reactor, the Tunze 3171. I plan to put it in the refugium section of the sump but the water level is relatively high at 27cm. Is this too much for the 3171?

Thanks

Kind regards

Vasco

OP
OP
VJV

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep an eye on lines and... that extra light can get stuff to grow and clog it up.

No worries [emoji6]. I am not using this section of the sump as a refugium anymore so it is just empty real estate. I will eventually add a macroalgae reactor (likely the AR-PRO from Pacific Sun) ao that light spillage is minimized. These also have a input where you can connect the effluent of the Ca Reactor só that the CO2 is used to grow the chaeto. Something I may look to use down the line if my tank’s PH stays too low.

tgrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I LOVE MY TUNZE 3171 Calcium Reactor! I love simple. I love things that just work. This reactor has both and more. I'm really surprised we don't see or hear more about it. I have mine in the sump and it's almost underwater. It's next to the refugium so it does tend to get algae but still very manageable. I use a Kessil H380 for the refugium and so Algae will be present but it's not that big of a deal. I have the output going into the refugium and my algae just grows and grows. I used an electrical plastic wrap from home depot to slow down the algae growth in the lines. Does an amazing job. Enjoy your reactor!

joseserrano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries [emoji6]. I am not using this section of the sump as a refugium anymore so it is just empty real estate. I will eventually add a macroalgae reactor (likely the AR-PRO from Pacific Sun) ao that light spillage is minimized. These also have a input where you can connect the effluent of the Ca Reactor só that the CO2 is used to grow the chaeto. Something I may look to use down the line if my tank’s PH stays too low.
I know a few ppl who do this. Works great.

OP
OP
VJV

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just hope it will be enough for my tank. 180 gallon with a number of very large colonies consuming about 1,4dKH per day. It says it is good up to 400 gallons but it is tiny compared to other reactors at just 1,85L of volume.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the never released 3170, which is even smaller and it keeps up with my 215 paired with kalkwasser, I do overdrive it with 2 bubbles of CO2 a second and 4 drops a second, it eats through media fast. I have no doubts it will keep up but it may take some tweaking of drip rate and CO2. It is a valid point that algae can plug the lines, I have to clean mine every few weeks. But the 3170 is in tank so it is not far from a Kessil 360WE.

OP
OP
VJV

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine will be in the sump with no light so hopefully will not be an issue. [emoji4]

OP
OP
VJV

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why everyone install this CR in the sump?
Can it be install outside the sump?

Tunze recommends that it is installed inside the sump. Mine does leak ever so slightly from the probe insert on the lid. Also not sure if the self priming function (you do not need a feed pump for this reactor) will work properly if it is installed too far from the water intake.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 33 33.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 26 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%

Back