Tunze 5017 ATO no longer working see thread for explanation

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see there is a recent thread with a similar issue. I've had this unit for 3-4 years most likely. It hasn't been touched in close to 2 and that does include no cleaning. I soaked the entire magnet with optical sensor and float switch in vinegar and some calcium build up came off but nothing drastic.

Occasionally I have minor issues like overfilling but now the unit doesn't work at all.

I believe the optical senor is the issue since if I flip the float switch it will just beep too high like it's supposed to. Here is a breakdown of what happens :

I turn the unit on and it will start up normal : green light for level on, approximately 1-2 seconds later the yellow light will come on for too low (for the purposes of this test the sensor is completely out of the water). The pump will come on for just a couple of seconds, water comes out like normal but then all lights will flash red, orange, green, red and beep for approximately 1/2 a second. The entire cycle will repeat with some variation. Sometimes the level won't come back it will just go to too low, start the pump for one second, all 4 lights come on beep repeat. The pump is only on when the too low yellow light is on.

I think that is a pretty clear explanation but if need be I will take a video and post it. I notice the optical sensor is one part that is not sold as a replacement part. I have also red previous threads where its mentioned this rarely fails. I know the pump still works and the float switch also does appear to work. I am open to suggestions as to what to try next. Again this unit basically hasn't been touched in close to 2 years and was also in service for close to 2 years prior to this. No new equipment under the tank or anything. It's not pretty but the wires are not tangled up nor should there be anything new causing interference.

OP
OP
andrewkw

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to add to this. If I start the power cycle with the float switch submerged it will beep too high like it should. If I raise it up to level the green light will come on and it will appear to be functioning normally. However if I cycle the power it will go back to the quick beep and flashing lights cycle.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like a dead pump, try disconnecting the pump, if the behavior stops the problem is the pump and it just needs to be replaced.

OP
OP
andrewkw

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So once again I am having issues. I replaced the pump a couple of months ago and it worked fine.
Now it shows too low and pump on. -the pump will come on for 5-10 seconds when the power is cycled regardless of level. After 5-10 seconds of water it will stop pumping but have the 2 red lights for too low and pump on remain. Once the float switch is submerged the too high will beep. Now if I cycle the power again it will start at too high and beep.

I am guessing the optical sensor is also bad? The float switch definitely works and the pump is new.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only red lights are too high and too low, be careful as the lights are recessed and can be viewed through neighboring windows if viewed at an angle, pump on is yellow/amber. The pump should come on for about 15 seconds regardless of level on first power up, that part is normal. Too high is solely a function of the float switch. One normal possibility is that the sensors are very close and the initial short fill that is part of start up is raising the float. If the tank is small this is very probable.

OP
OP
andrewkw

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you hear some faint beeps in the background unfortunately as soon as I take this clip someone in my house goes to use the microwave. I'm already at a higher than normal water level since I moved the sensors up so to not trigger the float switch.

If the float does not get triggered you can repeat this process as many times as you want and water will pump for 5-15 seconds *guestimate I did not time it however in this video it seemed to go on shorter then previous attempts.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your controller has lost its programming, that is why the too low light comes on and stops it. That timer should be 10 minutes, it is zero so it stops immediately after the start up sequence. This would generally be caused by either switching it with another controller or a power surge. It would need to be sent in for reprogramming, I am not sure if Xenia has the equipment to do this, but I would check first with them.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your controller has lost its programming, that is why the too low light comes on and stops it. That timer should be 10 minutes, it is zero so it stops immediately after the start up sequence. This would generally be caused by either switching it with another controller or a power surge. It would need to be sent in for reprogramming, I am not sure if Xenia has the equipment to do this, but I would check first with them.

OP
OP
andrewkw

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I can't get this fixed in Canada. Do you want me to fill out the forum on the tunze website or do you want me to just email you directly?
The only questions I have is there a cost for you to fix this, and how do I pay for return shipping?

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, Phil told me he doesn't have the terminal to do this. I don't charge for this, it takes only a few minutes to do. The only charge is shipping which unfortunately the cheapest reliable way I can return it is $21.95. If that works for you I am happy to do it.

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 26 28.0%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 31 33.3%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 16 17.2%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 17 18.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back