Tunze 6095 or 6105 for 75g

Silly clownfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to replace my Icecap 3k (?) gyre. I love the flow pattern on the gyre- style pumps, but have never had one that didn’t hum/ whine. I loathe background noise and my aquarium is in my living room, since that is next to the stairs, it is pretty much the center of the house and I can hear it everywhere. it seems that all gyres are built on the same design/construction. If there was one on the market with a ceramic impeller shaft, it would try it. plus even is I crank it to 100%, it just doesn’t move water the way it used to.

I think the 6095 pushes enough water and has a nice, wide pattern, but it looks like it only produces about 3’ of flow and I would like to push the length of my 4’ tank. I am not thrilled that the 6105 is even bigger than the 6095, which is already huge. Could others with 4’ tanks who have the 6095 and/or 6105 chime in?

I have looked at eco tech and while I like the no-cord-in-tank design and slim in-tank profile, I am not convinced from the reviews that it will be as durable as Tunze. I have a pile of 6025 and 6045 that have been in use for 5-15years are still run silently with minimal maintenance. I do like that Ecotech seems to be made in the USA and Tunze is German. I am willing to pay a bit extra for that.

it is a mixed reef, and I do have an Apex, but hate the Apex as it goes through periods where it disconnects after half an hour. and Of course that always happens when I am traveling…

Last edited:

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two 6095 on my 4 foot 100 gallon tank and two 6040s behind the rock work.

OP
OP
S

Silly clownfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks - that’s pretty much what I was thinking. Put the old non- controller ones in the back to eliminate dead zones.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back