Tunze 6095 tank vibrations

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Ryebreadiest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up a pair of Tunze 6095s and can’t seem to eliminate the deep hum from the pulse mode being engaged. Is there any way to diminish that or have them ramp up and down more slowly? The only setting that is variable on the controller seems to be pulse.

Would a hydros flow controller or apex allow me to smoothly ramp them? Great pumps but my new 35g tank is very quiet and the pumps vibrate the glass when they pulse. Thanks!

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There will be some hum from speed changes, the main things that will reduce this:

1) Thicker material, the magnet is made for 1/2" glass, these pumps would generally be suited to tanks in the 60-120 gallon range with thicker glass which will reduce the noise primarily by less magnetic attraction, you could add a pad of rubber or foam between the outside magnet and glass, likely the glass is quite thin given the tank size and the overstrength of the magnet pulls on the drive unit as well as causing a very firm clamp down transferring more noise, the thing glass has more reverberation than thicker glass.

2) Avoid any hard surface contact, avoid corners where the pump may be touching the side wall, make sure the cable has no contact with loose items that can vibrate and transfer noise like a reflector.

3) Give the pump time to break in, noise is reduced by wear and seating in of the moving part, this takes 6-8 weeks to complete and is ideally done at a consistent speed between 60-80%, this will provide the fastest seating.

4) Do not place the pump close to obstacles, flow bouncing back at the propeller causes hydrodynamic forces that result in noise, the flow cannot exit smoothly and bounces back at the propeller, the propeller then does not spin smoothly and flutters.

OP
OP
R

Ryebreadiest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the response, I like the powerhead on very low constant speed, it provides a great wide flow for my tank. I may just add a small second pump to change the flow in the tank randomly. Is there any risk in like the silicone seal of the tank being harmed by the vibrations?

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, the vibration is not that extreme. I would generally recommend 2 6045 for a tank this size.

OP
OP
R

Ryebreadiest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Left the 6095 on constant lowest speed and used another pump to provide random flow. After a few weeks noticed the 6095 was quieter. I was able to remove the other pump and now my entire tank flow for a 30” mixed reef is a single 6095 on max length pulse, flow minimum and pulse flow about 35%. Pumps in the bottom corner pointed up at the surface and the back of the rock. Keeps my torches and gonis in a nice dance/sway/dance while letting my big acanthophylia in the opposite corner still inflate. Dosing AB+ shows no dead spots.

Very happy to have a one pump solution - now I just need to figure out this battery backup system!

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While this video is fairly old, I still regard it as the best video on the Safety Connector-

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 145 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.6%
Back