Tunze 6105.50 Safety Connector

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Clownfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using my safety connector with my old Tunze 6095 for about 2 years. The Tunze power supply had a 12v fuse in them and all worked well connected to a 12v battery I had. When the power went out the pump continued running off the battery. Just brought a new Tunze 6095 and the power supply is 24v. Plugged it into the Saftey Connector and after about 1 minutes it clicks like crazy. As soon as I turn off the power supply the pump runs off the battery fine but as soon as I plug the new power supply back in, it starts clicking again.
Any ideas on this? Also, I lost of the fuses that came with the original Tunze 6095 pumps, any idea where I can source them from?

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The safety connector is bad or the battery. The battery does need a charger to maintain it, if it drops below 10V, it can cycle like this. It is not charged by the safety connector connection. The voltage of the power supply makes no difference. The jumpers for older pumps are available on Tunze.com, part 6055.241.

OP
OP
Clownfishy

Clownfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The safety connector is bad or the battery. The battery does need a charger to maintain it, if it drops below 10V, it can cycle like this. It is not charged by the safety connector connection. The voltage of the power supply makes no difference. The jumpers for older pumps are available on Tunze.com, part 6055.241.

Many thanks for such a quick response. I am just charging the battery now just in case it is a little low but what is weird, it works fine with a 12v Tunze power supply plugged into it with no clicking. As soon as I swap this for the new 24v power supply, its starts clicking after 1 minute. Any ideas why this would be the case?
Also, thanks for the part number:)

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only know when I have seen this in the past, replacing the safety connector solves the problem is the battery is not too weak. Inside is a relay and I assume the stronger current on one pole and weaker current on the other causes a chatter and inability to switch properly but if the battery is fully charged, a faulty relay is the suspect.

OP
OP
Clownfishy

Clownfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only know when I have seen this in the past, replacing the safety connector solves the problem is the battery is not too weak. Inside is a relay and I assume the stronger current on one pole and weaker current on the other causes a chatter and inability to switch properly but if the battery is fully charged, a faulty relay is the suspect.
Many thanks, I will order a new one

OP
OP
Clownfishy

Clownfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it turned out the solution to the problem was to purchase a new Tunze Safety Controller. I plugged in the new one and there was no clicking. I have no idea why the old one works with a 12v power supply plugged into it but as I stated previously, plugging in a new 24v power supply caused it to click repeatedly. The new one works absolutely fine with the 24v power supply.

Many thanks for the help offered, very much appreciated.

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am just charging the battery now just in case it is a little low

Do you mean to say you are not regularly charging the battery? Ideally, you should always have some sort of battery maintainer attached to the battery to keep it fully charged. After an outage, this has the benefit of charging the battery up again so that it's ready to go for the next outage. Plus, leaving lead acid batteries in a discharged state will significantly shorten their useful service life.

EDIT: Unless the Tunze safety connector contains some electronics to charge the battery using the Tunze pump power supply. Which would be unlikely and undesirable for a couple reasons.

OP
OP
Clownfishy

Clownfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The battery was fully charged and yes, I do have a charger connected to the battery to charge it after an outage and to charge it from time to time even without having an outage.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 64 32.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 53 26.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 41 20.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 40 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back