Tunze 6105 not responding to apex variable speed input.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Critical-1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 6105s x2 for 11 yrs that have been so awesome and still work great. They are older (pre 2015?) versions that came without controller. I had them going back in the day with my apex but the control cable always fell out and became a pain so I sort of stopped controlling and just used them at 100% flow all the time for fish only/ softies set up. Now I am suffering from coral fever again and want to set up waves / control speed. Trouble is I can’t get them to have variable flow. The apex will turn them off and on but won’t change speeds. Not sure how to trouble shoot this. Is it my cable? Is it the programming? Is it the pump? Any ideas. Thx

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The most plausible would be the settings or the cable, on those cables, the boot tends to protrude too far for the pins to engage, if you pull back the boot, you should get a better contact. It is not impossible it is the pump, I would make sure it is clean and the drive unit is not seized to the shaft it spins on, but usually if it is an electronic issue the pump won't respond at all. Keep in mind that it won't run at speeds below 30%.

OP
OP
C

Critical-1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will give the cable boot a look. As a long-shot question. I recently read that for units that came without a controller like mine, a free upgrade was available. I’d imagine that ship sailed a while ago but doesn’t hurt to ask. Thanks for your advice.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We never had a free controller upgrade but it is possible to add one, the add on controller is part 7090.000, it will just plug into the din port on the pump. I would personally be apprehensive about adding it, simply because at this age, your pumps have exceeded the expected life span and that money is likely better spent on new pumps. With anything with electronics, the electronics do not last forever, typically capacitors start to fail after 7-10 years of use.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 6.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 74 78.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.3%
Back