Please help with 0-10v variable speed outlet (APEX)

RagnarReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please help. I am trying to use 0-10v control on my return pump and skimmer (both RO varios using icecap cable). Basically I want fine tuning, to keep the return line primed during feed modes, and I'd also like to keep them plugged into EB832 for power monitoring. I cannot figure this out... first they just turned off when I plugged in 0-10v cable. So I turned outlets (both variable speed and actual eb832 from auto to on) and they just seemed to both be at 100%. Can someone point me to a good tutorial on this (YouTube vids not really finding anything, apex manual is outdated, couldn't find much here on reef2reef)? I am an Apex noob (obviously), so please be gentle. Attached pics of my variable speed outlet for return pump configuration. Help! Do I have to use a profile or just the configuration as per my attached pics? What should the programming look like for both variable speed outlet and regular outlet?

Screenshot_20210429-210633_APEX Fusion.jpg Screenshot_20210429-210658_APEX Fusion.jpg

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Edit: sorry i didn't read the whole post. Iirc you meed to use a profile and have the feed mode trigger it for keeping the line primed.

Here is mine, ignore the last statement. Substitute the pump percent you wish to run (mines at 80%), set to auto. Simple as that.
45CAAD9F-931E-4530-AFFE-11E8EAE740ED.png

Upvote 0

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Three things:

1. The graphical schedule is what you should use under normal circumstances.
2. The code placed in the Advanced tab should only be used to override the graphical schedule, such as when you initiate a Feed cycle or turn on your Maintenance output. In order for this to work, you should remove the "Set 25" line from the Advanced tab because anything in this tab will override your schedule. Only keep the "If Feed" and "If Output Maintenance" code here.
3. If it's turning off when you connect the 0-10v cable, there are a few possible causes:
a. You're using the wrong variable output. The Apex (or the VDM Module) has 2 physical 0-10v ports, and each one has two channels. So there are 4 Variable outputs Var1, Var2, Var3, Var4 which could be used. You need to confirm which of these 4 ports is the one actually connected to your pump. The easiest way to confirm this is to move the output slider from OFF to ON. Do this one by one for Var1, Var2, Var3, Var4 until you see which one turns the pump on.
b. It's possible the code on your 0-10v output is causing the pump to remain off. For example, your Leak_1 or Leak_2 sensors could be reporting CLOSED and preventing the output from turning on. Remove all the code from the Advanced tab, verify the pump runs, then one by one add the lines of code back to see which one might be turning off the output.

See my series of Apex tutorials to get up to speed on programming:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
RagnarReef

RagnarReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Three things:

1. The graphical schedule is what you should use under normal circumstances.
2. The code placed in the Advanced tab should only be used to override the graphical schedule, such as when you initiate a Feed cycle or turn on your Maintenance output. In order for this to work, you should remove the "Set 25" line from the Advanced tab because anything in this tab will override your schedule. Only keep the "If Feed" and "If Output Maintenance" code here.
3. If it's turning off when you connect the 0-10v cable, there are a few possible causes:
a. You're using the wrong variable output. The Apex (or the VDM Module) has 2 physical 0-10v ports, and each one has two channels. So there are 4 Variable outputs Var1, Var2, Var3, Var4 which could be used. You need to confirm which of these 4 ports is the one actually connected to your pump. The easiest way to confirm this is to move the output slider from OFF to ON. Do this one by one for Var1, Var2, Var3, Var4 until you see which one turns the pump on.
b. It's possible the code on your 0-10v output is causing the pump to remain off. For example, your Leak_1 or Leak_2 sensors could be reporting CLOSED and preventing the output from turning on. Remove all the code from the Advanced tab, verify the pump runs, then one by one add the lines of code back to see which one might be turning off the output.

See my series of Apex tutorials to get up to speed on programming:
Ok thanks. Actually read through your articles... super helpful but not much on setting up variable speed outlets. For the graphical schedule if I want just a set percentage 24/7 should I just keep 2 set points (0000 and 2359)? If I wanted to keep them plugged in to the EB832 for power monitoring, what should I have programmed into the actual outputs? Should I have all outlets (actual and variable speed) set on Auto (once I verify I'm using the right variable outputs)? I turned the virtual outputs off that are in the advanced programming (virtual feed and maintenance), confirmed I didnt accidentally initiate a
Feed cycle and I didnt get any alarm notification for leak sensors (and nothing visually around leak sensor (or paper towel its sitting on) in sump. But I can certainly give your suggestion to add them back in one at a time a shot. To make sure its running at the speed I want it, I should be able to adjust the percentage points on the graphical scheduling up or down and see an immediate change in the flow from the pump right? Thanks for help and advice!

Upvote 0

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks. Actually read through your articles... super helpful but not much on setting up variable speed outlets. For the graphical schedule if I want just a set percentage 24/7 should I just keep 2 set points (0000 and 2359)? If I wanted to keep them plugged in to the EB832 for power monitoring, what should I have programmed into the actual outputs? Should I have all outlets (actual and variable speed) set on Auto (once I verify I'm using the right variable outputs)? I turned the virtual outputs off that are in the advanced programming (virtual feed and maintenance), confirmed I didnt accidentally initiate a
Feed cycle and I didnt get any alarm notification for leak sensors (and nothing visually around leak sensor (or paper towel its sitting on) in sump. But I can certainly give your suggestion to add them back in one at a time a shot. To make sure its running at the speed I want it, I should be able to adjust the percentage points on the graphical scheduling up or down and see an immediate change in the flow from the pump right? Thanks for help and advice!
When you have any device that's controlled by the 0-10v outputs, the regular power cord should be plugged into an outlet that is always on, so the variable output can control it. Think of it like your television. You leave the TV plugged into a wall outlet that's on at all times, but you use your remote control to turn it On and Off, and to change channels or to adjust the volume. The Apex 0-10v output is like the TV's remote control. You should never actually turn off the electricity to the device, just like you'd never unplug your TV from the wall, so if your device is plugged into an EnergyBar outlet, that outlet should be set to Always ON.

For the graphical schedule, just create two points at 00:00 and 23:59 with the percentage you want it to run at under normal conditions. Then in the Advanced tab, only enter commands that should override the normal schedule, such as Feed cycles or Maintenance outputs that turn it off or turn it down to a lower speed. Do not use any "Set" commands because those are not conditional and will override the graphical schedule at all times when one of the other "If" conditions are not active.

I hope this makes sense.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
RagnarReef

RagnarReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you have any device that's controlled by the 0-10v outputs, the regular power cord should be plugged into an outlet that is always on, so the variable output can control it. Think of it like your television. You leave the TV plugged into a wall outlet that's on at all times, but you use your remote control to turn it On and Off, and to change channels or to adjust the volume. The Apex 0-10v output is like the TV's remote control. You should never actually turn off the electricity to the device, just like you'd never unplug your TV from the wall, so if your device is plugged into an EnergyBar outlet, that outlet should be set to Always ON.

For the graphical schedule, just create two points at 00:00 and 23:59 with the percentage you want it to run at under normal conditions. Then in the Advanced tab, only enter commands that should override the normal schedule, such as Feed cycles or Maintenance outputs that turn it off or turn it down to a lower speed. Do not use any "Set" commands because those are not conditional and will override the graphical schedule at all times when one of the other "If" conditions are not active.

I hope this makes sense.
Yes makes total sense. Thank you so much! Will give it another shot tomorrow. For variable speed outlets, ok to switch outlet to Auto right?

Upvote 0

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes makes total sense. Thank you so much! Will give it another shot tomorrow. For variable speed outlets, ok to switch outlet to Auto right?
For all outputs on the Apex where you have programming (whether a graphical schedule or text code), the output needs to be set to AUTO otherwise the Apex will ignore the programming. The OFF and ON positions are manual only, basically like a simple power strip. The output will remain ON forever or OFF forever when in these positions, and all the programming will be ignored. Only when the output is in the AUTO position will the Apex actually follow your programming to turn things On and Off or set to a specific speed percentage based on the code.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
RagnarReef

RagnarReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For all outputs on the Apex where you have programming (whether a graphical schedule or text code), the output needs to be set to AUTO otherwise the Apex will ignore the programming. The OFF and ON positions are manual only, basically like a simple power strip. The output will remain ON forever or OFF forever when in these positions, and all the programming will be ignored. Only when the output is in the AUTO position will the Apex actually follow your programming to turn things On and Off or set to a specific speed percentage based on the code.
Got them working and progammed the way I wanted them... thank you!

Upvote 0

spicymikey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks SuncrestReef. I read this thread, and your mentioned articles. Excellent articles by the way! It just helped me successfully setup my new Abyzz A200s to my new Apex system. By the way, if anyone tries to get those new Apex 10v interface modules for the latest Abyzz pumps, its a pain in the neck to source, But once you get it they do work perfectly with only the need for a standard Variable Output cable. No need for that old DB8 serial cable and the intermediate converter module.

Upvote 0

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 82 87.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back