Tunze 9001 dc

Hannahmunt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I just installed a tunze 9001 DC skimmer.

I’ve never used a skimmer before so not sure if I’ve set up correctly.

currently when I turn the air control up the skimmer cup fills up within 2 mins. Should I keep the air control to a minimum?

I’ve noticed it’s quite loud so not sure if I’ve set up wrong. I attached the surface skimmer as well, but haven’t noticed it doing much, does it take a while for this to clear the surface water?

14EEEF68-B2CB-4475-9821-033F8714C239.jpeg

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the time a new skimmer takes a while to break in and stable out. Needs to build up a slim coat on the inside.

If your setup is new it will take longer.

Have you tried adjusting it’s dc pump to idle it back?

OP
OP
Hannahmunt

Hannahmunt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the time a new skimmer takes a while to break in and stable out. Needs to build up a slim coat on the inside.

If your setup is new it will take longer.

Have you tried adjusting it’s dc pump to idle it back?
If I turn the screen pump up the skimmer fills up really quickly. So I have it on lowest setting.

this is what was on the surface this morning.

Attachments

• FDC2D73B-BA0D-4DE7-8B82-D80EFD52689A.jpeg
    FDC2D73B-BA0D-4DE7-8B82-D80EFD52689A.jpeg
    212.3 KB · Views: 43

thumbsy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the ac version of this skimmer.

I would try to raise the skimmer a bit and see if that helps.

As mentioned, it takes a few days for a skimmer to break in. You need the slime coat to cover the pump to slow it down a bit. You'll notice similar issues after you clean it, it'll be a bit stronger and need time to gunk up a bit before it's normal.

I also use the surface skimmer attachment and at first it didn't work. I had already accumulated a thick layer in the tank and the surface tension was too high to get past the narrow slots in the attachment. I used a cup to skim it manually during a water change and once it was thin enough it started getting sucked down the attachment.

OP
OP
Hannahmunt

Hannahmunt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the ac version of this skimmer.

I would try to raise the skimmer a bit and see if that helps.

As mentioned, it takes a few days for a skimmer to break in. You need the slime coat to cover the pump to slow it down a bit. You'll notice similar issues after you clean it, it'll be a bit stronger and need time to gunk up a bit before it's normal.

I also use the surface skimmer attachment and at first it didn't work. I had already accumulated a thick layer in the tank and the surface tension was too high to get past the narrow slots in the attachment. I used a cup to skim it manually during a water change and once it was thin enough it started getting sucked down the attachment.
Thank you!

I’ve never used a skimmer so didn’t know if I had installed correctly. I’ve moved the skimmer up a bit and added a bit more water movement on the surface as well as scooping out the thick layer on the surface.

Back