Tunze 9410 DC overflowing

Blue Ring Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 30, 2016
Messages
3,720
Reaction score
1,567
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new 9410 DC and my sump went up an 1/2 to 1'' higher than usual and the skimmer overflowed, I was under the impression that these skimmers do not overflow, so if that is so, why is it overflowing? Which nipple is the air line suppose to plug into the larger one or the smaller one?
 
The larger one. What should happen is that the water backs up into the silencer, this produces a loud percolating noise and the skimmer can no longer take in air, it is possible depending on how the skimmer is set up, for example very high pump speed, basket removed, pipe omitted or cut down, that this feature is defeated, if the hose is not connected or the silencer leaks this could also defeat it. This feature is more designed to work against surface tension issues that cause foam overs, so it is possibly less effective against water level changes.
 
Thanks Roger, for my age it is getting harder to for me to work on my tank on the ground, so I was looking for an easier skimmer to remove the cup, so this skimmer accomplishes that but I cannot have it overflowing all the time, so I will check the other things that you mentioned as well.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 7.1%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 7.1%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new