Tunze 9410 DC placement question

SueAndHerZoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just received my 9410 DC and so far am loving it - easy to get up and running and does everything it's supposed to. BUT.... I was disappointed with the instruction booklet - it left me with a lot of unanswered questions, but the instruction that has left me scratching my head is that it tells you to place the skimmer in an area of low water flow. HUH?!?!? My skimmers are always in the section of my sump where the return water enters from the display tank! That's where it makes the most sense to place the skimmer, but it's hardly a low-flow area. I don't want to put the skimmer in the refugium section (it's got a deep sand bed and macro-algae and it won't fit anywhere else.

The return pump is also a DC unit and I like having it turned up pretty high so that the returns are giving my DT good flow. Is there a problem with me having the skimmer in the part of my sump where the flow is pretty turbulent?
Sue

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe they are talking about that the water in the sump does not have a lot of turbulence, so it does not suck in air and bubbles.

OP
OP
SueAndHerZoo

SueAndHerZoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dunno, but I don't think I have much choice but to have the skimmer intake right next to the display tank output..... and that's where I thought most people kept their skimmers. And at the flow rate that I have the return pump running it's coming into the sump pretty violently into the first chamber.... maybe I'll have to use a sock with polyfill or something.
Sue

reefluvrr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my 9410 DC skimmer. I have it next to my sump receiving drain with no issues. I only wish they have a larger collection cup as standard equipment.

Hopefully @rvitko can help you out.

Back