Tunze 9410 dc

Discussion in 'General Equipment, Hardware, Filtration' started by offthehook, Feb 16, 2019.

1. offthehook

offthehook Member Build Thread Contributor

looking at getting a new skimmer. I currently have an eshopps axium x120 and I am forever having to fiddle with it. Read a lot of good things on the tunze as far as consistency. My worry is that this skimmer will be way over powered for my tank and not perform as well due to being oversized. My tank is a Red Sea reefer 250 so about 60 total gallons. I want a skimmer that pulls the crap but does it without having to fiddle with it every day. My current skimmer, despite being in constant water level and recommended height will not skim one day then overflow the next. Very few times over the last year has it performed consistently. My water height is just under 8 inches although I can raise the skimmer if need be but can’t lower it
    Thoughts on the 9410 for those that use it on smaller tanks than it is rated for?

Just a note I am also looking at the bubble magus and the new Red Sea 300 while I would like to go with the Red Sea I would rather be able to see more reviews on its performance first . I’m open to other suggestions but I also know tunze just works...

Tags:

2. ReefHog

ReefHog Active Member R2R Supporter

I can't recommend Tunze skimmers enough. They pull the crap out of the water almost immediately. Once you have the water level set no further adjustments will be needed. I prefer and have the DC models with the speed dial and pause/cleaning button. Makes cleaning the cup super easy. The 9410 would be perfect for your tank size even allowing you room if you ever decide to upgrade in the future up to about a 120 gallon. My sump level is right at 7" with the speed adjustment at 100%. With your sump level just under 8" you should be able to drop the 9410DC model right is and turn down the speed switch to about 50%. Or put it on a 1/2" pad and you should be able to put it close to 100%.

offthehook likes this.
  3. offthehook

Thank you for your quick response! Are there pads you recommend? I heard of people using mouse pads etc...I always use the egg crates single or stacked depending on how high I need it. If vibration isn’t an issue then I assume that’s will work fine. Been in the hobby for almost 20 years and never had such issues with skimmer inconsistency. I have a tunze return pump that is over 10 years old and it moves water like its brand new so I know they are reliable.

4. offthehook

Ended up going with the tunze 9410 dc. Best decision ever. No fiddling, it just skims!! Had a problem with the pump but Roger took care of it immediately. I think this is the first skimmer I don’t have to constantly adjust and check on. I was a little worried it would be too much skimmer for my tank but it is performing very nicely! And most important customer service is top notch! Thanks for your input!

5. ReefHog

ReefHog Active Member R2R Supporter

I have no idea why Tunze is not that popular here in the states. I own three of them and every one is set and forget. Glad you love it.

Draft saved Draft deleted