Tunze 9410 Recommendations

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

ReefingwithO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a high bioload 75 gallon tank.

Do you recommend the 9410 or the 9410 DC version. I am looking for a skimmer that fits this install, I'm not interested in having it fit a larger tank later. (I already have that covered). If the 9410 can do the job it would be perfect for me.

Is there a difference between the body size for the two skimmers or is it just the pump that's different?

@rvitko

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same body, just different pumps. The DC pump gives you a bit more power, but from what I’ve read, most run it at around 50%.

Finhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it gets rid of the annoying humm of the standard 9410 (which it will) I would opt for the DC version. The 9410 is a beast of a skimmer but the humm drove me nuts. lol

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
9410 has no hum or everyone who owns one would have the same hum. Yours is the first report of this I've heard. (Mine has no hum.)

How old is yours?

Can you tell specifically where the hum is being generated?

Are you sure that it's not from the pump touching something in the tank?

Does it do the same thing when you remove it from the sump and test it? (e.g. in a tote of water)

I sampled my 9410 with a dB meter app before and it seemed to agree with my ears (which are much more subjective) that it's super quiet. ;)

It might be interesting for you to try the same thing....see what a dB meter says for your various pumps, skimmer, etc.

It would also be interesting for some of us to compare dB readings to see if the apps give results that are useful and comparable.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a high bioload 75 gallon tank.

Do you recommend the 9410 or the 9410 DC version.

The standard 9410 is a little beast and would keep a heavy-loaded 100-150 gallon tank clean and aerated. It handles my system (~100 gal total) with ease.

Your 75 would be "easy pickins" too. ;) Go for it!

OP
OP
ReefingwithO

ReefingwithO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks everyone. I think I’m going to go with the DC version because I found it on sale at almost the same price as the other version. (With some reward points too)

The descriptions on MarineDepot says the size of the skimmers are different.

9410 - Dimensions without post-filter: L250 x W113 x H418 mm (L9.8 x W4.4 x H16.4 in.) 230 V / 50 Hz, 11 W
https://www.marinedepot.com/Tunze_M...r_Aquariums_Reefs-Tunze-TZ5340-FIPSIS-vi.html

9410 DC - Dimensions without post-filter (L x W x H): 250 x 180 x 415 mm (9.8 x 7.0 x 16.3 in.)
https://www.marinedepot.com/Tunze_M..._Aquariums_Reefs-Tunze-TZ77100-FIPSIS-vi.html

Finhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
9410 has no hum or everyone who owns one would have the same hum. Yours is the first report of this I've heard. (Mine has no hum.)

How old is yours?

Can you tell specifically where the hum is being generated?

Are you sure that it's not from the pump touching something in the tank?

Does it do the same thing when you remove it from the sump and test it? (e.g. in a tote of water)

I sampled my 9410 with a dB meter app before and it seemed to agree with my ears (which are much more subjective) that it's super quiet. ;)

It might be interesting for you to try the same thing....see what a dB meter says for your various pumps, skimmer, etc.

It would also be interesting for some of us to compare dB readings to see if the apps give results that are useful and comparable.

Mine was brand new and made a humm that drove me. I swapped it out for a Deltec at the time, it was dead silent and worked as good or better then the 9410.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha. Bummer you must have had a dud. :( Glad you worked it out one way or the other though! ;)

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those MD measurements for the AC version seem off. That 4.4” measurement is physically impossible as the skimmer reaction chamber alone is already 5” not accounting for the measurements of the skimmer base. My AC 9410 dimensions are more in line with the ones given for the DC version.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people have vibration issues with the cup lid... to remedy that, I use a sticky pad and weighted hockey puck on the top of the lid.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hum was common on older ones, this was addressed by some fins molded in that grab the cup tightly and that changed happened around 2012. The lid can still hum sometimes and some weight on it is the best remedy. These are the same except pump, the DC ones are much easier to tune since it is as simple as dialing in pump speed and it is better able to adapt to water level deviations since the pump is so adjustable. For the AC model a constant water level around 6" is the ideal.

Finhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hum was common on older ones, this was addressed by some fins molded in that grab the cup tightly and that changed happened around 2012. The lid can still hum sometimes and some weight on it is the best remedy. These are the same except pump, the DC ones are much easier to tune since it is as simple as dialing in pump speed and it is better able to adapt to water level deviations since the pump is so adjustable. For the AC model a constant water level around 6" is the ideal.

Sorry in my case it was not the lid I went through all that and built a hold down for it etc. It was 100% the pump, you could hear it through the house as the stand amplified it. Like I say switched to Deltec at the time and never worried about it again. ;)

OP
OP
ReefingwithO

ReefingwithO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

What would you say is the optimal water level for the DC version?

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This could be, but it would only be an out of balance impeller and that could be exchanged under warranty fairly simply.

OP
OP
ReefingwithO

ReefingwithO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For the AC model a constant water level around 6" is the ideal.

What’s the ideal water height for the DC version?

And how come I didn’t hear more about these skimmers? I had to look for something 7 inches wide to find this.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We sell a lot of them but they are kind of a sleeper success, Jake Adams wrote about how much he likes his on Reef Builders, not sure why their is not so much press about them, probably because they are pretty basic and gimmick free, no cone, no diffuser plate, nothing fancy, they just work. 6" would still be the ideal but the ability to adjust pump speed down makes them a lot more adaptable so up to 8" and as low as 5" would work.

OP
OP
ReefingwithO

ReefingwithO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We sell a lot of them but they are kind of a sleeper success, Jake Adams wrote about how much he likes his on Reef Builders, not sure why their is not so much press about them, probably because they are pretty basic and gimmick free, no cone, no diffuser plate, nothing fancy, they just work. 6" would still be the ideal but the ability to adjust pump speed down makes them a lot more adaptable so up to 8" and as low as 5" would work.

I’m going through definitely do a review on it once I have it dialed in.

Would you say for higher water levels such as 8” adjust the pump down for best performance?

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, if the water level is higher the pump has to be turned down to avoid foaming over, at 8" it will likely need to be turned down close to all the way.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back