Tunze 9410 Recommendations

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
ReefingwithO

ReefingwithO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes, if the water level is higher the pump has to be turned down to avoid foaming over, at 8" it will likely need to be turned down close to all the way.

Another question Roger, The sump I am getting has 7 inches space for the skimmer. Is the skimmer exactly 7 inches or a few millimeters over? Do you think it will fit in a 15x7 space?

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just opened one to measure it assembled, it is tricky because it is very asymmetrical with the pump on one angle and the filter basket pipe on the other and the filter basket can be swiveled so 7 by 13 is possible and it is just a hair under that. but 8 1/16 by 9 is also possible with everything swiveled slightly differently. While not ideal it would also be possible to remote locate the pump and feed it with a hose so an even smaller size is possible, this is not ideal as the bubble will tend to merge in the hose and flow will be reduced but the pump has power to spare.

OP
OP
ReefingwithO

ReefingwithO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just opened one to measure it assembled, it is tricky because it is very asymmetrical with the pump on one angle and the filter basket pipe on the other and the filter basket can be swiveled so 7 by 13 is possible and it is just a hair under that. but 8 1/16 by 9 is also possible with everything swiveled slightly differently. While not ideal it would also be possible to remote locate the pump and feed it with a hose so an even smaller size is possible, this is not ideal as the bubble will tend to merge in the hose and flow will be reduced but the pump has power to spare.

That works for me. I don't need to use the filter socks so I can remove that.

It's ordered and on the way so we'll see.

Finhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another question Roger, The sump I am getting has 7 inches space for the skimmer. Is the skimmer exactly 7 inches or a few millimeters over? Do you think it will fit in a 15x7 space?

Just cause I had them on hand, messing around with my 9410 when I got my Red Sea Reefer Nano a few years ago. The sump is only 14 1/4' square on the inside. ;)

vChTxENb_o.jpg

wa01TRRb_o.jpg

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sock is primarily a bubble trap, though it also is a mechanical filter and carbon/phosphate remover can be placed inside so it is a complete filter. For the bubble trap feature I would use it if possible.

OP
OP
ReefingwithO

ReefingwithO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey @rvitko, I've always had to run my skimmer air input outside in order to maintain a high PH. I live in a pretty tight apartment.

Should I simply connect some tubing to the air imput of the pump and run that outside?

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do the same, but with these skimmers you need to pump the air in unless the window is very close. I use a 9012DC and my nearest window is 25ft away so I have an air pump outside and it pumps to a T with one end open to the room so any extra air can be vented off or drawn in as needed and the other end goes to the skimmer. If the window is right by the tank it can work to just extend the hose but the longer the hose the more air flow you will lose to the resistance.

OP
OP
ReefingwithO

ReefingwithO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I do the same, but with these skimmers you need to pump the air in unless the window is very close. I use a 9012DC and my nearest window is 25ft away so I have an air pump outside and it pumps to a T with one end open to the room so any extra air can be vented off or drawn in as needed and the other end goes to the skimmer. If the window is right by the tank it can work to just extend the hose but the longer the hose the more air flow you will lose to the resistance.

The window is 4 or 5 feet away from the tank.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
M
If it gets rid of the annoying humm of the standard 9410 (which it will) I would opt for the DC version. The 9410 is a beast of a skimmer but the humm drove me nuts. lol
My 9410 doesn't have a hum... but will if its not sitting directly in the egg crate stand.

What bugs me is the cascading water noise into the attached filter sock!

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4-5 ft should be no problem but use a larger diameter hose.

Idoc, do you have the rubber feet attached on the bottom of the skimmer?

The noise is usually pretty tolerable and not above what you would get from any other skimmer unless the water level is high and the air flow is excessively restricted, less air on the AC model always means more water, the volume is unchanged just how much is air and how much is water.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idoc, do you have the rubber feet attached on the bottom of the skimmer?

Sorry... didn't mean to hijack the thread! But, yes the rubber pieces are attached. I have it sitting on an egg-crate stand so they really don't do much. The hum only occurs occasionally, and if i push down on the skimmer, it goes away...i think that re-seats the skimmer on the stand enough to fix it.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem, you might try to find some larger self adhesive feet that would span the grids in the egg crate. At home I have a 6055 in a nano stream rock and if it goes against the glass it sounds like a miniature jack hammer, I put a big blob of hot glue on the one corner of the rock because it was a fast, easy solution and nothing else I tried would stick, though silicon would have probably been the best fix, but no cure time with hot glue. You could try the same with hot glue blobs on the egg crate.

lancesmith1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have the 9410Dc running on a RSM E260. The RS sump is around 8 inches deep and the pump is set at about 25%. It skims a little wet but the skimate reeks like a dead animal so that tells me it is doing the job. I really like the skimmer and especially the non clogging venturi aspect. I have been tapping my skimmer cups with the airline in the past but this one has that in the design. It runs quiet as well. I am really satisfied with the skimmer and plan on keeping it.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! Skimmate color can vary considerably with what is being removed, so that is a hard gauge to go by. Carbon dosing will generally give wetter skimmate for example and algae growth tends to give a skimmate that is greener and has a hint of a chili pepper odor.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 9 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 52.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.8%
Back