Tunze 9430DC on Timer?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi Roger, hope you are well.

Would you let me know if running my Skimmer 9430DC on a timer (analog or digital) is acceptable? It would run from 6am to 6pm then turn off (one one on/off cycle per day.

If so, is one time better than the other?

Take Care,

Nathan

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only issue with this is you will need to keep up with pump maintenance, this goes for any pump, when it is shut off, heat continues to radiate from the motor, with no flow the water in the motor rapidly deposits calcium carbonate on the surfaces in the motor, the need for cleaning becomes more frequent and if neglected and not noticed the motor can be destroyed.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when it is shut off, heat continues to radiate from the motor, with no flow the water in the motor rapidly deposits calcium carbonate on the surfaces in the motor,
Could you expand on this? If you have no power to the motor, how does heat continue to radiate from it? Are you confusing a DC motor or any motor really, with a nuclear reactor? I am being sarcastic, and I am sure there is a grain of truth somewhere in your thought process. Maybe you didn’t explain it well enough?

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The motor coil is a big block of copper coil, it gets hot in operation, the motor turns off, no more water is moving to cool it and it is still hot and stays hot for several minutes. All the water inside the impeller well is taking that heat and pretty much dumps its calcium on the internals of the motor, instead of a flow of water coming out a few tenths of a degree hotter, you have some milliliters of water heating to 90 plus degrees inside. Try running a pump of about just 40W or so in a few gallons of water overnight, the water will literally be steaming the next morning and may even trip the thermal shutdown on the motor. It is not as dramatic in a high volume of water but pumps make quite a bit of heat, it is proportional to the motor wattage.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for your reply Roger! Thanks for the heads up on the extra maintenance!

No issue with premature failure of the power supply or anything?
No, if you keep up with cleaning so the pump does not lock up, there will be no other issues, if the pump does lock up, this can overload the power supply and shorten its life.

OP
OP
naterealbig

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No, if you keep up with cleaning so the pump does not lock up, there will be no other issues, if the pump does lock up, this can overload the power supply and shorten its life.
Thank you Roger! Always an excellent customer service experience - well aligned to the dependable, efficient, robust Tunze products.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 29.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 36.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 27.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back